Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Smoked salmon

Tags
salmon
4K views 47 replies 31 participants last post by  Curtisrose20 
#1 ·
Its been a couple years since I have smoked salmon, but I plan on busting the smoker out tonight. Anyone have a good dry brine recipe? I usually just use the one from the book my smoker came with. Thanks guys!

#44 ·
@mtskibum16 is correct about temperature varying depending on your smoker, also how cold it is outside, as well as the thickness of your fish, and where the fish is placed in the smoker. I like my fish to be a little drier then most people, but I still freeze my fish down to about -4 degrees F for two or three days before I brine and smoke it. Any fish that spends time in freshwater can have tapeworm larva in the meat, getting it to 145 deg F all the way through or freeze it down to below zero for 72 hours to keep from getting tapeworms.

#48 ·
I have done really well with enough salt to cover abt the same amount of black pepper. Let Sit for two days then rinse and let it sit for abt four hours uncovered in the fridge to form a pellicle. I like to let my salmon flavor come out as far as other spices I don’t use any. I have an electric smoker and I use pellets in an a-mazing pellet tube light th end of the a-mazing pellet tube with a torch then put it all in the smoker and let it smoke till it’s dry not too dry but dry enough to not be moist then I’ll turn the power off and cold smoke for an hour. Left with super flavorful very Smokey salmon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.