Bad bills propose to limit water access: HB 2521, SB 6152

Sounds unlikely to advance, but worth anglers being aware of due to the potential for closing county roadside water access points in Washington. Hat tip to American Whitewater for being on this: https://www.americanwhitewater.org/content/Article/view/articleid/33941/

"House Bill 2521 and Senate Bill 6152 would add new language to state law that would allow a county to vacate a public right-of-way abutting a waterway “for the protection of public safety.” While this determination would be made through a public process, it would happen at the county level. We would have to track proceedings across multiple counties and it would be difficult for members who recreate on rivers but live outside the county to participate. Furthermore, no definition of public safety is provided and one could imagine a county making the argument that providing access to a challenging whitewater run results in a “public safety” concern.

The motivation for this bill is illegal trespassing on private land along the Lewis River in Clark County; NW Lancaster Road dead ends at the Lewis River adjacent to the Burlington Northern Santa Fe railroad bridge crossing the Lewis River, known locally as the Ghost Bridge (45.8632°, -122.7503°). Members of the public use the county road that abuts the Lewis River and then leave the road corridor to trespass on private land including the railroad bridge. Fatalities have occurred when individuals on the bridge have been struck by approaching trains. The adjacent farm has also reported significant issues with trespassing and vandalism.

While we are sympathetic to the issues faced by the local landowner, we are concerned that the current language of the bill has wide-reaching implications for access to rivers and shorelines across the state."

Rob Allen

Thanks for the heads up. Funny how a concept like public safety can be abused to disguise a land grab.
Hmm sounds like typical government to me. And why i am regretting all the ESA listings. We gave the federal government all this overreaching power and still no fish. Just more government control over out lives with no results.

Thats why i oppose all new laws all new taxes and all new fees or increases. Nothing good comes from any of it.

Rob Allen

Thanks for the heads up. Funny how a concept like public safety can be abused to disguise a land grab.
Hmm sounds like typical government to me. And why i am regretting all the ESA listings. We gave the federal government all this overreaching power and still no fish. Just more government control over out lives with no results.

Thats why i oppose all new laws all new taxes and all new fees or increases. Nothing good comes from any of it.

Latest posts