Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

What are you listening to?

NFR 
157K views 4K replies 293 participants last post by  Jim Travers 
#1 ·
The lyrics thread is fun. Made me go searching for songs I hadnt heard in a long time. :cool:
I'm fortunate in that I can have music on in the background while I work.
Most of it is random from the interwebs....and ive stumbled on quite a few gems.
Like these guys....a groovy Greek jam band called Naxatras.

So....what are you listening to?

#3,605 · (Edited)
"Laura" was a pretty darned good noir film too.

#3,606 · (Edited)
from the @Jack MeHoff Joe Maphis thread...
If you like that kind of multi-instrumentalist virtuosity, you must check out local product (Mountlake Terrace) Mark O'Connor. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_O'Connor

"In 1975, at thirteen, O'Connor won the WSM (AM), Tennessee, and Grand Ole Opry sponsored Grand Masters Fiddle Championships[5] in Nashville, Tennessee against amateur and professional competitors of all ages. That same year he won another national championship on acoustic guitar, at the National Flat Pick Guitar Championship in Winfield, Kansas."

He also won the mandolin championship 4 times from age 19-24.

The word genius seems to have lost most of it's meaning in the context of music in the last 50 years, but Mark's a real one - and a profound artist, performer, and composer crossing bluegrass, classical, blues, folk, jazz, rock - and beyond. You've surely heard his playing without knowing it before as he has appeared on hundreds of projects as a session player. But this is the most impressive thing I've ever heard from him:

musing...
My Dad was a violinist and worked in violin and guitar luthier shops when I was growing up. I loved hearing the sound of his playing resonating throughout the house as he practiced, tested luthierie ideas, and just for enjoyment. After he passed, we discovered his instruments weren't anything special, but he used to get a spectacular tone out of them with (what I refer to as having) "the touch" on the bow. Jascha Heifetz was his favorite artist. I have Dad's boxed set of 33 1/3 vinyl "Heifetz Plays Bach Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas" that he used for tonal study. (After listening to these three videos I need to spend some time listening to the Heifetz set again!)

Mark O'Connor's performance is awesome! Just Wow! The description said the Caprices (changes of mood) were inspired by O'Connor's study of Paganini.

When the O'Connor video was complete one of the recommendations was for "In Mo Yang" (30 yrs old) performing the Paganini Violin Concerto No.1. Another Wow! performance. The Concerto vs the Caprice style is completely different. It is fun to watch the facial expressions of the orchestra 2nd chair violinist during Yang's cadenza beginning at 16:55. I love listening to incredibly gifted artists.

#3,607 ·
from the @Jack MeHoff Joe Maphis thread...

musing...
My Dad was a violinist and worked in violin and guitar luthier shops when I was growing up. I loved hearing the sound of his playing resonating throughout the house as he practiced, tested luthierie ideas, and just for enjoyment. After he passed, we discovered his instruments weren't anything special, but he used to get a spectacular tone out of them with (what I refer to as having) "the touch" on the bow. Jascha Heifetz was his favorite artist. I have Dad's boxed set of 33 1/3 vinyl "Heifetz Plays Bach Unaccompanied Sonatas and Partitas" that he used for tonal study. (After listening to these three videos I need to spend some time listening to the Heifetz set again!)

Mark O'Connor's performance is awesome! Just Wow! The description said the Caprices (changes of mood) were inspired by O'Connor's study of Paganini.

When the O'Connor video was complete one of the recommendations was for "In Mo Yang" (30 yrs old) performing the Paganini Violin Concerto No.1. Another Wow! performance. The Concerto vs the Caprice style is completely different. It is fun to watch the facial expressions of the orchestra 2nd chair violinist during Yang's cadenza beginning at 16:55. I love listening to incredibly gifted artists.
So well said Brian and a moving tribute to your Dad's skill. I was introduced to O'Connor by my brother, a Jazz aficionado who first found O'Connor as a sometime member of the Dregs. His record Elysian Forest from the early 90's includes a live version of that first caprice, and shows a wonderful cross section of his virtuosity in several genres. I believe the liner notes stated the violin he played the caprice on was a borrowed Stradivarius.

Different fiddle player in the lineup at the time, but here's a little Dregs a long time ago at Montreaux...

#3,619 ·
"America's first racially integrated, all-girl swing band, the International Sweethearts of Rhythm. broke attendance records and toured as a USO act during WWII. Unfortunately, racism and sexism largely swept them from the public record :( ; they became footnotes in other people's stories. Second-wave feminism brought them back into the conversation, and the Sweethearts were later recognized by the Kansas City Women's Jazz Festival in 1980, and again by the Smithsonian in 2011."

#3,620 · (Edited)
I'm just a musical hack compared to most of the women I've played with in big bands, pit orchestras, and chamber orchestras.

#3,628 ·
I'm a longtime drummer. I don't spend a lot of time watching hero videos and the like, but the other day, I opened YouTube and saw a suggestion for a video of Jonathan "Sugarfoot" Moffett playing Michael Jackson's hit "Smooth Criminal," and I found it truly amazing.

Those who don't know who he is (I didn't before stumbling across this) are familiar with his work; he was Michael Jackson's drummer of choice, and he has also worked extensively with the likes of Madonna and Elton John, among other pop notables.

I always liked Michael Jackson, but I had never paid much attention to the drum work on many of his songs (maybe just because MJ was such a performer, or maybe because his music was highly produced and often hid a lot of natural drum sounds - who knows?). At first listen, you hear solid, persistent pop grooves, but you have to listen closer (or watch) to pick up on just how good this dude is. Consider that MJ could have had ANY drummer in the world, and this was his guy.

Even if you're not into drumming, I bet you'll be impressed by this. Pay attention to how insanely steady he is, how cleanly he executes the absurd hi-hat pattern, and how smooth his movements are. What a master of his instrument!

Embedded video must be protected against sharing or something, so here's a link:
Sugarfoot

#3,630 ·
Any conversation about great all female musical groups without the Supremes is lacking. It's impossible for me to have just a single favorite.

#3,641 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.