NFR What are you listening to?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Eric, Love that someone else loves this song too! I just looked and had posted this YouTube back in May. I’m responsible for about ten of these views. I love Neil Young in this so much. What i can’t figure out, is he playing a mandolin? It kind of looks like a small acoustic guitar like one we own that is handmade and called a Tacoma Guitar.

It’s such a great song. Another one of theirs i love is Everybody Hurts.

Last edited:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
What i can’t figure out, is he playing a mandolin? It kind of looks like a small acoustic guitar like one we own that is handmade and called a Tacoma Guitar.
A mandolin is a soprano instrument (same as violin - G3-A7) with a shorter neck. Young's instrument has 6 strings so it's not a mandola (8 strings - C3-E6 ) or tenor guitar (4 strings C3-E6, like my tenor banjo) and is tuned in 4ths within the E3-E5 range so it is a small (travel) guitar. The upper bout cutaways and oval soundhole are distinctive so I started digging. I found it is most likely a Vagabond Travel Guitar; not terribly expensive, but then it's tiny and doesn't have premium tonewoods.

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Thank you Brian. It sounded almost like a mandolin to me but i knew it wasn’t quite right. Here is a picture of our Tacoma Guitar. (I don’t play at all. I bought it for my husband but when he got into drums he doesn’t play guitar anymore.) So now it’s more like a piece of artsy furniture.
986F01BE-1983-4462-9ED4-433B2A16A4E0.jpeg

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Here is a picture of our Tacoma Guitar.
Yup, the "Papoose" model, tuned from A3-A5. I knew it wasn't that. The "Tacoma" factory used to be right down the road from me. They made some good full size flattop and even (CNC) carved archtop "Jazz KIng" instruments with that distinctive paisley soundhole in the "Wing" series. They also made mandolins. Fender bought them out in 2004 and 4 years later layed off the employees to move production to a factory back east and automate the manufacturing to save costs. But the bean counters suddenly realized there wasn't enough profit to be made after tooling up so they killed the brand.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Yes Brian, that’s the Papoose model! I had heard they didn’t make them anymore.

I went to an open mic one time and this guy got up and played this small guitar and the tone and everything sounded so fine to me that i went over and talked to him and he told me about Tacoma Guitars. So i bought one that year for my husband’s birthday. I’m pretty sure i paid $400 or $450 for it. You got me thinking so i looked on eBay and found it for sale for $800.
4FFBA0AC-CF4B-40EB-8898-FBF740D12DA5.jpeg

jamma

Have lately been digging the live set by British band The Fierce and the Dead from RosFest 2017. It features intricate guitar synth compositions not unlike 80's King Crimson, but are, in the band's own words,"the band you can dance to." Cool stuff imo.

jamma

If you like maximum rock and roll with a healthy dose of punk attitude, think early Replacements with a more personal set of aggravations to rail about, then The Wildhearts are the band for you. Their most current release, 'Renaissance Men' is a smoking heap of raw aggression, just like rock and roll should be. Give it a listen and see if you don't agree.

Nick Clayton

Haven't followed this thread for a while. Lots of cool stuff in here.

This is an album I just cant get enough of.
My favorite track on the album.

Latest posts