NFR What are you listening to?

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
One of those random Facebook articles on my feed reminded me of a band I haven't listened to in ages.

Saw Strapping Young Lad a couple times when I was young. One of the coolest live bands I've ever seen. Devin Townsend's glorious skullet and 400 lbs of the amazing Gene Hoglan stuffed behind his drum kit alone made them worth seeing. Very good musicians and song writers. Townsend is a force on stage.

City was a great album. Freaking intense but super groovy. Good stuff to get me going on a morning tying session.

racermo

Watch that Backcast
WFF Supporter
That's one hell of a lineup. :cool:

Last month I posted a wonderful guitar version of Concierto de Aranjuez - my favorite version was arranged and recorded by this true jazz genius:

I never get tired of this recording

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
WFF Supporter
Rick Beato's 'What makes this song great?' videos have changed the way I listen to songs I've heard hundreds of times. Sometimes a little over my head when he goes into chords and theory but still great.

Thank you @cleanwilly .

I love this kind of stuff on YouTube and this guy is great. I just spent my morning watching quite a few of his YouTubes this morning while having coffee. This is his YouTube of his favorite acoustic guitar intros starting with #20. Most every song is from my teenage era in the 1970’s. I wonder if y’all could guess his #1 before watching it? I thought i might know it but my guess of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here came up earlier.

I also like his YouTube breakdown of Tom Petty’s Free Fallin’ and I Won’t Back Down. How does he isolate all the instruments and vocals like that?

jamma

The 5.1 mix of Bruford's album 'One of a kind'. Top notch players at their best, great songs and a stellar mix make for a true classic. If you like instrumental rock music and don't have this one.....what is wrong with you? :cool:

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
This is his YouTube of his favorite acoustic guitar intros starting with #20.
I guessed #1 correctly :rolleyes: .
He does a fine analysis. Most of his examples are very creative embellishments on the changes. I really like when embellishments of the vocal melody line are played over embellished chord changes that together can become the accompaniment. Examples he presented are Here Comes the Sun, Norwegian Wood. To me it adds interesting texture and is highly effective in simple arrangements without a lot of instrumentation as the song is played and sung over the (acoustic guitar) accompaniment.

cleanwilly

I also like his YouTube breakdown of Tom Petty’s Free Fallin’ and I Won’t Back Down. How does he isolate all the instruments and vocals like that?
Don't miss his one on Toto's 'Rosanna'! Written about (mostly) Rosanna Arquette, and the more you dig into Toto the more you appreciate them.

jamma

Thank you @cleanwilly .

I love this kind of stuff on YouTube and this guy is great. I just spent my morning watching quite a few of his YouTubes this morning while having coffee. This is his YouTube of his favorite acoustic guitar intros starting with #20. Most every song is from my teenage era in the 1970’s. I wonder if y’all could guess his #1 before watching it? I thought i might know it but my guess of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here came up earlier.

To answer your question, in multi-track recording, each sound is recorded individually to better facilitate it's position and prominence in the final mix. He's just playing back one of the many recordings that go into the final master of the recording. Hope that helps.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock