NFR What are you listening to?

jamma

Today's acquisition is the third release in the Bebop DeLuxe remix series, 'Modern Music'. Leader Bill Nelson is one of the great unknown talents in music history. A self-taught musician with a real gift of songwriting talent; not well known stateside, he was always about five years ahead of his time. From glam to art-rock to ambient, he has been responsible for a lot of outstanding music.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Otherwise known as The Mighty Burner. Master of the B-3.
I love the Hammond sound. I am sitting next to a B3 in a production this month and am digging what he's doing in the A section of a gospel arrangement of Joy to the World - Go Tell It on the Mountain.

Jimmy Smith truly is the Master of the B3 though. Here he's performing a hard bop number with (probably my favorite) guitarist Kenny Burrell.

castsN2trees

The fish are calling.....
WFF Supporter
Hahahahahaha....That was so fucking weird @castn2trees and yet i couldn’t stop watching it. I watched it all the way through. What’s up with his eyes?
Either contacts or demon possession.... I can’t tell....

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
I love the Hammond sound. I am sitting next to a B3 in a production this month and am digging what he's doing in the A section of a gospel arrangement of Joy to the World - Go Tell It on the Mountain.

Jimmy Smith truly is the Master of the B3 though. Here he's performing a hard bop number with (probably my favorite) guitarist Kenny Burrell.

That's some good stuff.
Looking back through Jimmy Smith's discography it looks like Kenny Burrell has been a mainstay on everything from trios to much larger ensembles.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
That's some good stuff.
Looking back through Jimmy Smith's discography it looks like Kenny Burrell has been a mainstay on everything from trios to much larger ensembles.
Yes, the way the two have collaborated musically is kind of like PBJ and represents a large body of their work as musicians. Maybe I lack sophistication and skill but to my ear KB plays more "cool" (melodic and rhythmic) than "shred" (fast, outside scales) that I really enjoy listening to.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
WFF Supporter
Agreed. From Bach to rock I'll take melody and rhythm every time. Shredding as you described it (fast, outside scales) holds no attraction for me. It lacks emotional content.

Brian Miller

WFF Supporter
Agreed. From Bach to rock I'll take melody and rhythm every time. Shredding as you described it (fast, outside scales) holds no attraction for me. It lacks emotional content.
The "shredders" have an amazing skillset of hand to hand coordination, and the ability to build their lines (improvising chord scales of the changes or various scales and modes against the changes) in their heads at warp speed, probably helped out to varying levels by playing "licks". Again, maybe it's my lack of sophistication (musical vocabulary) and skill but I gravitate more towards "cool".

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

That said, WFF displays just a single ad regardless of the device, and that ad helps cover the server fees. The position and size of the ad has been set to minimize impact to your experience, negating the need for adblocking the site. Disable your AdBlocker / Whitelist WashingtonFlyFishing.com to continue using the site. Thanks.

I've Disabled AdBlock