NFR What are you listening to?

jamma

Celebrating the 25th anniversary with some serious Thrakking today. Had the pleasure of seeing this band and one enduring memory during the performance of 'Indiscipline' was where Adrian delivers the line "..and then looking at it to see if I still liked it" and when the band came to a full stop, a punter yelled out, "You did!" knowing full well Adrian's next line was "I did!" :D Great concert.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
Mt. Baker blues fest and the Lincoln theater in Skagit.
I'll definately let you know if I see him local again.
This virus sucks. I haven't seen a live guide tr ar in a while.

Go sox,
Cds

jamma

Best Live lp of all time...IMO
Too many good ones for me to settle on just one. Some obvious ones (plus some not so obvious ones) :
Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore
Rush Exit stage left
Humble Pie Rockin' the Fillmore
Yessongs
Pink Floyd Umma Gumma live record
JBK Playing in a room with people and the JB release Lumen with the same band only minus Theo Travis
Gazpacho London

But one that really blows me away is King Crimson USA. Robert's guitar solo on the coda to 'Starless' is spot-on and more powerful than Ian McDonald and Mel Collins' saxes were on the studio record if you can believe that. Stunning performance of my favorite Crim song.

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
Ahhh accordion, how beautiful. I played in the pit for a community theater production of "Fiddler..." My (amplified) acoustic archtop guitar and mandolin, an upright bass, a percussionist, and accordion were (uncharacteristically) the only rhythm section instruments in the ~18 piece orchestra. It was a total kick.

Accordion gets no respect. Neither does banjo. I'm scheduled to perform with electric archtop and tenor banjo for a production of Annie from mid-July through early August. My wife flips me crap about practicing my banjo parts (over and over) at home. But I suspect the show will be cancelled because the cast can't start rehearsals.

jamma

Ahhh accordion, how beautiful. I played in the pit for a community theater production of "Fiddler..." My (amplified) acoustic archtop guitar and mandolin, an upright bass, a percussionist, and accordion were (uncharacteristically) the only rhythm section instruments in the ~18 piece orchestra. It was a total kick.

Accordion gets no respect. Neither does banjo. I'm scheduled to perform with electric archtop and tenor banjo for a production of Annie from mid-July through early August. My wife flips me crap about practicing my banjo parts (over and over) at home. But I suspect the show will be cancelled because the cast can't start rehearsals.
If possible, check out the band KTU. I have their release ' 8 armed monkey' which features some next-level accordion playing. :cool:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Too many good ones for me to settle on just one. Some obvious ones (plus some not so obvious ones) :
Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore
Rush Exit stage left
Humble Pie Rockin' the Fillmore
Yessongs
Pink Floyd Umma Gumma live record
JBK Playing in a room with people and the JB release Lumen with the same band only minus Theo Travis
Gazpacho London

But one that really blows me away is King Crimson USA. Robert's guitar solo on the coda to 'Starless' is spot-on and more powerful than Ian McDonald and Mel Collins' saxes were on the studio record if you can believe that. Stunning performance of my favorite Crim song.
jamma I decided to pick one most would know about...However, since you turned me onto this one...it is on that expansive listJBK. Playing in a Room with People...Yup!

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy qwiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
WFF Supporter
If possible, check out the band KTU. I have their release ' 8 armed monkey' which features some next-level accordion playing. :cool:
Thanks for the tip.
I listened to Sumu and Optikus. The liner notes mention "Kimmo Pohjonen - often lazily referred top as Finland's Hendrix of the accordion".
Pohjonen, Kosminen, Gunn, Mastelotto are all a galaxy beyond my musical abilities. Being raised by parents who would spin Alpert, Atkins, Ellington, Grappelli, Heifetz, Stokowski, Welk... on the turntable, after the 60s and 70s I began drifting away from dissonance back to more consonant melodies and harmonies. Anymore my pea brain just gets tangled up in progressive music.

Last edited:

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts