NFR What are you listening to?

Skip Enge

Here's a blast from the past.Every Halloween I pull out a one-time side project by a band called Morte Macabre titled 'Symphonic Holocaust'.Formed by a couple of guys each from Swedish prog bands Anekdoten and Landberk they do their versions of horror movie themes.If you like Mellotron music, sign up here.
Goblin /Roller...but this year I spun Cherry Five

jamma

I’ve got the Mike Patton Fantomas record where they do a bunch of horror/suspense theme stuff
Mike is one hell of a singer.Had the privilege of seeing him at a Mr. Bungle show that was unforgettable.They finished the show doing a song with an ending that carried you off into the heavens.He was laying on his back singing on a PA cabinet and to finish the show, rolled off and fell on the drummer and his kit!Also saw him on FNM's 'album of the year' tour.I think that's an underrated album in the FNM canon,there's some great songs on there:'Collision','Paths of glory','Last cup of sorrow'.Has there ever been an opening song that smacks you in the face harder than 'Collision'?It was MY album of that year.

@Shad - looks like you and i like the same music. I have most all of Jason Isbell albums...maybe all of them. And i bought Drive By Truckers Decoration Day album too. I like the other singer in DBT...is it Billy Bragg? Or am i mixing him up with Son Volt? I'll have to google it. The Nashville Sound album IMO is Isbell's best. (I also overplayed the song Tupelo, a great lyric from that song:
"Haven't been wasted in a long time.
But tonight it feels just fine
Riding home with the windows up
Alone with a plastic cup of real good wine"

(It's not the Lyrics thread so Googled those to make sure i got them right.)

i saw Wilco perform "Hate it Here" on SNL and loved that song immediately. (Usually i FF through the music on SNL.) Great lyrics and i wish i had thought of them for the Lyrics thread.
Jojo, The other singers in DBT are Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley.

Billy Bragg did an album with Wilco, you may be thinking of that. I used to catch the Drive By Truckers about twice a year at The Tractor, in Ballard. (Seattle). W/Jason Isbell. Now they play larger venues.

“My momma told me, your life is such a wreck.. “Your dummer than dog shit” is what my daddy said.
I was just 13 when they showed me the door... I keep their picture, don’t look at it no more.

jamma

Here I would like to recommend the music documentary 'Miracles out of nowhere' about the band Kansas.It chronicles the amazing string of dumb luck that got the band to where they are and shows the band totally owning up to how ignorant they were,especially drummer Phil Ehart.Seems to me he would be a cool guy to know.I can't help grinning and chuckling all the way through even though I've seen it at least a dozen times.Highly recommended.

Jojo

Trout Fear Me
Jojo, The other singers in DBT are Patterson Hood and Mike Cooley.

Billy Bragg did an album with Wilco, you may be thinking of that. I used to catch the Drive By Truckers about twice a year at The Tractor, in Ballard. (Seattle). W/Jason Isbell. Now they play larger venues.

“My momma told me, your life is such a wreck.. “Your dummer than dog shit” is what my daddy said.
I was just 13 when they showed me the door... I keep their picture, don’t look at it no more.

The Drive By Truckers album i bought is Decoration Day (because of Isbell). Two of my favorite songs of theirs not on that album is “Two Daughters and a Beautiful Wife” and “I Used to be a Cop”.

I don’t like going to concerts much but i would love to see Jason Isbell play a small venue (with his wife) - something like The Triple Door, but he’s just too popular now.

Mike is one hell of a singer.Had the privilege of seeing him at a Mr. Bungle show that was unforgettable.They finished the show doing a song with an ending that carried you off into the heavens.He was laying on his back singing on a PA cabinet and to finish the show, rolled off and fell on the drummer and his kit!Also saw him on FNM's 'album of the year' tour.I think that's an underrated album in the FNM canon,there's some great songs on there:'Collision','Paths of glory','Last cup of sorrow'.Has there ever been an opening song that smacks you in the face harder than 'Collision'?It was MY album of that year.
Fantomas live is a real cool thing. Patton's label, Ipecac, has some great music on it
Any Trevor Dunn project is good, as well

In other news.. I was wondering what my cat has been listening to..

catsss.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts