NFR What are you listening to?

jamma

Also loved 'Frontera' the opener from that album.Dude is just singing stuff out of a Spanish telephone book.Brilliant!On a similar tip,a band featuring Bill Laswell called Cypher 7 did a song that apparently used samples from a French language tutorial.I always wondered what the phrases meant because the song was titled 'Message important'.

Last edited:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Also loved 'Frontera' the opener from that album.Dude is just singing stuff out of a Spanish telephone book.Brilliant!On a similar tip,a band featuring Bill Laswell called Cypher 7 did a song that apparently used samples from a French language tutorial.I always wondered what the phrases meant because the song was titled 'Message important'.
I picked the "pop"tune from the lp but I gotta say, not one to pick favorites but it is either Frontera or Miss Shapiro from this wonderful lp....

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Even more obtuse Frenchmen:Ange, Atoll,Philharmonie( which features guitarist Frédéric L'Epee from the aforementioned Shylock),Soto and others that will come to me eventually.
i have some Ange and Atoll...probably on CD somewhere from those online pirate days... ;) re: Napster and the like

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
because no one wants to sell/trade BC albums (yes, I still call 'em albums)
I could find damn near anything in San Francisco...but not in vancouver...don't go too much to Portland anymore...I prefer the happenstance record buying method...i can afford that...the search and find method I can not...lack of local availability is my protection from financial ruin...

Eric Johnson

I could find damn near anything in San Francisco...but not in vancouver...don't go too much to Portland anymore...I prefer the happenstance record buying method...i can afford that...the search and find method I can not...lack of local availability is my protection from financial ruin...
haven't looked it up, nor have I been there in a long while: is Django still open in downtown PDX? There used to be a decent shop in Gresham as well.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
haven't looked it up, nor have I been there in a long while: is Django still open in downtown PDX? There used to be a decent shop in Gresham as well.
Django long gone...2nd Ave is probably still there...However pricing in the big town are high...If you search out the weird and wonderful you can beat out the shop owners learning curve...Lot's of great looking vinyl has been showing up as older folks finally let go of there long held collection...because prices are up on quality used...depending on what you buy and availability new presses wil go for less than first press sought after lp's...Locally the other night an early repress of Alice Coopers first lp was priced at $40...I used to hit 7 record stores in a 6 block radius on my extended lunch "hours" in downtown Portland... A lot of shops just could not survive the record drought years...

Latest posts