NFR What are you listening to?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Actually i probably misspoke about the Isbell version and Pancho and Lefty. I think the Willie and Waylon is probably the best. And i don’t even like country music as a rule or Willie all that much except for one some songs. Their version is pretty classic.
It’s a pretty cheesy video though.

Edited to add: The only problem with this song is i find my self waiting and waiting for Waylon to start his singing part and it doesn’t come in until more than halfway through. I love his voice.

Last edited:
Actually i probably misspoke about the Isbell version and Pancho and Lefty. I think the Willie and Waylon is probably the best. And i don’t even like country music as a rule or Willie all that much except for one some songs. Their version is pretty classic.
Hard to disagree with that either JoJo. Saw them in Austin at the late great Armadillo World Headquarters. Yeah, I'm THAT old. Not a true child of the 60s though because I remember what happened. ;)

Hatty

It’s a pretty cheesy video though.

Edited to add: The only problem with this song is i find my self waiting and waiting for Waylon to start his singing part and it doesn’t come in until more than halfway through. I love his voice.

Hey Jojo
If you have not heard Emmy Lou Harris do Pancho and Lefty give her version a listen. She put it on an album in the mid 70s. That was the first time I heard the song, and it is my favorite version because of that. Even though she did not write it. It is a Townes Van Zandt song.

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I’m killing time before i have to meet a friend. My brother and i were in a conversation awhile ago about which musical artists’ death we would be most sad about. (One of mine already died: Tom Petty.)

But i would definitely add this guy, and would put him as my number 1, because he also seems like such a good man. (I would include Van Morrison and Bob Dylan too, but they are not exactly guys would i think would be cool to hang out with like Springsteen and Petty.

I would also be upset to hear that Jason Isbell, Joni Mitchell, Mark Knopfler, to name a few. The list is longer but that’s who i think of off the top of my head.

Edited to add: I am a sucker for a dude who can play the harmonica...;)

Last edited:

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
Hey Jojo
If you have not heard Emmy Lou Harris do Pancho and Lefty give her version a listen. She put it on an album in the mid 70s. That was the first time I heard the song, and it is my favorite version because of that. Even though she did not write it. It is a Townes Van Zandt song.

Oh she is so great and so beautiful (still). I have loved her playing with Mark Knopfler and Ryan Adams to name a few. But you’re right. this is a nice version! the first version i ever heard was Willie Nelson. Damn, i’m Going to have an ear worm on this song if i don’t switch gears!

We're on a roll here: A new live tribute album honoring Joni Mitchell’s 75th birthday, Joni 75: A Birthday Celebration, is set to be released on Friday, March 8th. The live album is compiled of cuts from a pair of sold-out tribute shows at Los Angeles, CA’s Dorothy Chandler Pavilion last November.

Joni was my obsession from 1970-79, got me through some very tough times, along with Dylan and Paul Simon. Blue was the first album I played for my wife-to-be (40 years this December) in my dorm room.

Bob's passing will be the end of an era. Our daughter alone has seen him seven times, including Korea and Amsterdam concerts.

Jimmy Buffett too along with the late Bob Marley, and Sheryl Crow with "Tuesday Night Music Club" which was hot as we first ventured into a 20 year ramble of travels in the Caribbean.

Last edited:
Wow, post a whole album and only the first song gets commented on. It is one of the best songs out there though.

I'll have to listen to Isbell. I do love Willie Nelson but his version of Pancho and Lefty with Merle is a little too produced and slick (so were some of Van Zandt's studio albums).

I really like Emmylou Harris' version, though I confess am a bit biased having been absolutely smitten over her so long.

I heard a YouTube video of Bob Dylan doing the song. Terrible! (but interesting). If only he could sing!

This is a good Jagger/Richards cover from the Burrito Bros. It was actually released before the Stones released their version.

jamma

Okay I took the plunge and listened to some Ryan Adams...he reminds me a wee bit of Paul Westerberg of the Replacements...He is real good
Yeah, Paul got dissed alot from the punks for the change of attitude but I think his first two solo albums are excellent.I just wonder, if Ryan's such an odious prick, (more on that later) how does he come up with songs like 'Inn town','Houses on the hill' and 'Turn around' just to name a few? And for a guy who's had more than his fair share of heckling I think he's earned the right to heckle back if he wants to.
I have a friend who has gone through the fires with me, marriages, divorces, when he was a close to death as you can get I was there every day and he has always been there for me.But when we play cards he just hates to lose and I mean he HATES it and can become verbally abusive and when he's not getting dealt good cards will get depressed.Does that make him an OP.No, it's just the genetics bypassing his filter, that's all it is.I don't take it personally.And when I call him out on it, he gets embarrassed and then ten minutes later he's doing it again. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that it's hard to judge the character of someone if you haven't walked a mile in their shoes, know what I mean?

Jojo

Trout Thank Me
I get what you say about overproduced @Pescaphile ...i was trying to find a better version but back then a lot of stuff was overproduced. I just love Waylon’s voice on it though.

@jamma ... THank you for what you say about Ryan Adams. I am thinking about him and hope he comes out of this okay. Even after reading about all his antics in the two biographies written by people who had met him and worked with him i still feel like he can’t be lumped in with all the rest of the baddies. I did listen again to Paul W. And there is a similarity. Ryan Adams actually was dissed a lot for copying other artists, and if you Google him, his his name connected to The Replacements.

I wasn’t a huge Hearts fan but always thought Nancy Wilson was so cool cause you didn’t see women like her playing guitar like that back then.

I can’t believe i forgot John Prine. I would be very sad to hear that he died. I love his new album so much i am in danger of overplaying it.

I love this song on Prine’s latest album:

jamma

Really tapping the memory banks now, but who compares with Nancy Wilson's guitar work on Dreamboat Annie? I know you young folks are going "Dreamboat who?"

There's been some good ones like Orianthi (I think I got that right, she's played with Alice Cooper and hangs with Richie Sambora these days) and the gal I mentioned before, Hedvig Mollestad Thomasson. There was a girl a while back billed as The Great Kat who could really shred the classics. Lita Ford is another good one but yeah, I own a couple of Heart albums. Chicks dig Heart.

And speaking of guitar players, I picked up one tonite by Terje Rypdal & the Chasers titled 'Blue'. He is considered the Jimi Hendrix of Norway and is most likely the best guitarist no one's ever heard. Not as flashy, mainly straight jazz, but this one has him playing in a power trio. An accomplished player. For the record, it's pronounced Tear-yay Rip-doll. His more big band outing 'Odyssey' comes highly recommended.

Last edited:

Hatty

At my work, we listen to music on either Pandora or Spotify. At the beginning of a "case", (I work in surgery) a surgeon will sometimes ask what we all want to hear: take requests. I have been asking for Buena Vista Social Club. And, depending on the crew, I been digging Courtney Barnett, too.

I get what you say about overproduced
My favorite line about overproduced is when the Beatles created the Let It Be album.

George Martin did the initial producing, but it was sent off to Crazy Phil Spector to do the final mixing and add-ons.

George Martin famously said, along the lines of, "the Let It Be album should have been credited to, 'produced by George Martin, overproduced by Phil Spector...."

Love it

Last edited:

Latest posts