NFR What are you listening to?

jamma

Not criticizing anyone's taste in music; it's a personal choice and it's all good if it means something to you but the only thing that scares me worse than a girl with an acoustic guitar is a guy with a ukulele. :rolleyes:

jamma

What about girls with electric guitars?
I have mentioned several in this post already : Black Belt Eagle Scout, Fanny, there's a gal by the name of Simone Dow in Aussie metal band Voyager; I'm sure I could come up with a few more if I researched it. But Hedvig tops my list.

P.S. And I forgot to throw in Joanne Shaw Taylor, they all can hang with the boys.Fanny recently released new music under the name Fanny Walks the Earth. June Millington was badass in her day.

Memphis Minnie, Chrissie Hynde, Joan Jett, Janet Gardner, Lzzy Hale, and of course, the girl who made it cool to wear leather jump suits and carry a big plank, Suzi Quatro ( it irks me when they say a band doesn't have a guitar player and there stands a bass player, it's a freakin' guitar for chrissake.)

Last edited:

jamma

Joni Mitchel, Tracy Chapman, Mimi Farina, JoAnn Kelly...oh so many jamma...you are scared of a lot of great ones... ;)
Scared?(They should have a piercing stare emoji here). I have JoAnn K, both on disc and vinyl, there are a lot of women blues singers that do that shtick.Rather listen to JoAnn S-T sing and play any day.Tracy & Mimi? I never heard anything by them that made me want to hear more. Joni fills the same hole for me as Bob Dylan; good songwriters who I would rather hear anybody sing their songs but them (ever notice how some of the best songwriters can't sing worth a shit?).That helium voice doesn't sit well on my ears which is why I have never listened to Jeff Buckley either. Compare her version of 'Woodstock' to CSN&Y, I know which one I'd rather listen to.Same with '...Watchtower' or 'Blowin' in the wind'.
But, I will say it again, music is a personal choice, not a competition and I have long passed the point of needing anyone to show me where the good music is. If it speaks to your soul, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks about it. I learned that the hard way.

Last edited:

jamma

Hahahaha....Eddie Vedder did an album with the ukulele. I love Eddie Vedder. He might be the only way i would listen to a ukulele.
I have not heard anything from that album but I suspect the singing would be more interesting than the playing.They always look to me like they stole an instrument from a child and are starting to feel really embarrassed about it. :oops:

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
Wait a minute, I just had the thought that a guy with bongos may be worse.I don't believe I have ever heard a woman doing that and am not sure I would want to. :eek:
Lil Stevie Wonder "Fingertips" a 12 year old Stevie Wonder...one of my first records...from Slamps in downtown Camas...bongos but sure wasn't Bongo Fury...;) Ha!

jamma

can't underestimate a Uke Army : )
Don't know if I'm tempted enough to watch this, only time will tell. Well done, sir.I am curious enough to ask, just how many ukes in this army? God forbid anyone shows up with a bongo army video. :rolleyes:
You know, this all sort of reminds me of a performance I saw of a comic using two small paper grocery bags and whacking his microphone to recreate the drum solo from 'In-a-gadda-da-vida' with stunning accuracy.The performance just floored me.

Last edited:
Don't know if I'm tempted enough to watch this, only time will tell. Well done, sir.I am curious enough to ask, just how many ukes in this army? God forbid anyone shows up with a bongo army video. :rolleyes:
Somewhere around 8 Ukeleles, but, there is an acoustic bass guitar, so it does bring into question the legitimacy of it being a classic "Ukulele Orchestra" ...

I think I saw a Bongo Army once or more while living in Olympia : )

Latest posts