Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Sage Salt???

Tags
sage
2K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  eli neshiem 
#1 ·
Anybody have a Sage salt (Not the HD)? How do you like it vs other rods? Thanks in advance for any input.

#11 · (Edited)
I have an 8wt and have only snapped the rod tip twice. Once was with Nick so I'll blame him for that one. The other one was....strange and not while fishing. I like it a lot, although I have not compared it to other high end 8wts. I got it for half price when it first came out. For that price, I didn't think it was worth cross shopping. I also have a 6wt Xi3 (predecessor to the Salt) and I am very fond of it.

#12 ·
I've fished the Salts in 6 and 8. No durability issues on my end and I caught many bonefish on both rods. Great lifting power and seemed to be built very well.

I've since sold both. They are good but I preferred other rods more. I'd rate them as B minus rods or upper-middle of the pack.

I chose the Sage Xi3 and Scott Radian over the 6 weight salt and I chose the Sage X over the 8 weight Salt if you were wondering. It comes down to personal preference- I use 8 weights and 6 weights the most and have cast a ton of them side by side.

#13 ·
I have the 6wt salt on my boat and probably have guided 150+ days with it. I would say of the modern rods I have fished its one of the toughest as far as durability. It's light, powerful, and super responsive. I am a huge fan of the Salt HD over the Salt however I have heard an argument the other way more than once. I do love the fact that you can not over power the Salt in a casting stroke, and most casters can find the sweet spot real quickly. I believe you would be very happy with it.

#14 ·
I agree with XP, the Salt can lift an amazing amount of line off the water and it is a smooth shooter (caster). My experience is from a couple hours with it, as with some other newer rods. I liked the Salt over the X in 8 weight, thought the X was kinda soft and didn't get a great load feel from it. For me, the Radian blows the X out of the water in 5-6 weights. (not that it has anything to do with what you asked)

I own the Xi3 in a 6, which I find to be an easy rod to cast all day. I know the Salt is on close out prices, but since your considering that amount of $$$$ you might want to try a couple others out there too. You can find some practically new Meridians, NRX's, GLX's, etc at fly shops that have been returned after a single trip, they are returned by favored clients who for one reason or another didn't like the rod. And of course there is an auction site too....good luck

#20 ·
Really?!? Where dat?

Dat be many fly shops.....ask? you ever notice how many fly shops sell used but practically new fly rods on daz E-site? Client returns/exchange type program....you can be like that hommie, Tom Shane, and cut out the middle man, Man! Just askz!

#22 ·
It is how I acquired one of my sage sticks a decade or so ago. Client returned a couple rods he bought a couple weeks previous for a trip. He did not like the rods and exchanged or returned. Supposedly he was a good client/patron. They were going to put on eBay but he offered me 40% off retail. I bought one/w warranty card, thing was practically new. And goes to show.....test cast before you buy.....unfortunately I don’t have the clout like that client, or dough !

#24 ·
They were going to put on eBay but he offered me 40% off retail. I bought one/w warranty card, thing was practically new. And goes to show.....test cast before you buy.....unfortunately I don't have the clout like that client, or dough !
Maybe not the clout or dough, but apparently the smarter (or luckier) to the extent you got the rod at a discount!

#29 ·
So does that apply to all X’s? That might make some sense actually. Most
Lines are heavy, so a 7 Wt line is an 8. Making the X a true weight rod? :eek:

In addition my casting stroke probably needs to be refined to capture the casting qualities of a rod like the X.

#30 ·
But then again if I was throwing a 8 weight line which was actually an 8.5 or 9 one would think I would feel the rod load easier. It felt empty to me... I think the X is simply not my kinda rod.

Sorry I pulled this away from topic. Back to the Salt...I like the blue better than the Black Spruce!

#31 ·
I have a Salt 9wt and like it quite well. Paired with a RIO Redfish winter line and the thing is pure fun to fish and it can put a hurting on the fish. I recently got a new 10 wt in the SaltHD. I love that rod and think the HDs are really top notch. Getting an 12wt SaltHD soon.

#32 ·
Hello all,

Ended up purchasing the Salt 5wt at a 40% discount and throwing on a Lamson speedster I bought on the forum classifieds. All I have to say is wow... what an upgrade from my diamondback 5wt with a behemoth reel. It casts like a dream and feels great. I can't wait to get out and chase some fish this week. Thank you for everyone's input! Now on to the next stick for the quiver ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.