Trip Report Australia trip!

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Good stuff Adam, glad you got out and about. Must have felt good to have some heat, though often the week after Christmas can have some brutal weather off the South East coast of NSW. Plenty of Sydney to Hobart racers have found that out the hard way. Every year they lose a few rock fishermen, not hard to see why.

Grew up fishing about an hour south of point pleasant and jervis bay. Adam, check out Chris Bammon's videos on the area, might give you some ideas, they are pretty much gold as far as I am concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnCUx6dVWB7dLAQTFu5Z4g

The fishing often isn't hot and heavy down that way unless you get into a mess of tailor or Australian salmon. The beach can be a blast for whiting but they aren't much of a fight so much as a damn good eat. Flatties are fun, though they tend to be dispersed and don't school much.

Good stuff Adam, glad you got out and about. Must have felt good to have some heat, though often the week after Christmas can have some brutal weather off the South East coast of NSW. Plenty of Sydney to Hobart racers have found that out the hard way. Every year they lose a few rock fishermen, not hard to see why.

Grew up fishing about an hour south of point pleasant and jervis bay. Adam, check out Chris Bammon's videos on the area, might give you some ideas, they are pretty much gold as far as I am concerned:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqnCUx6dVWB7dLAQTFu5Z4g

The fishing often isn't hot and heavy down that way unless you get into a mess of tailor or Australian salmon. The beach can be a blast for whiting but they aren't much of a fight so much as a damn good eat. Flatties are fun, though they tend to be dispersed and don't school much.
Thank you very much! Just had a look at the flathead video, subscribed & have to look at more videos when i get time! Think i'll try & go in February next year, lot of research to do still & gonna buy a tropical intermediate 8wt line before then!

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
Thank you very much! Just had a look at the flathead video, subscribed & have to look at more videos when i get time! Think i'll try & go in February next year, lot of research to do still & gonna buy a tropical intermediate 8wt line before then!

he's got a good one on night fishing for mulloway from his tinnie.

Probably my favorite though is when he and a buddy hoon round on probably the upper Eucumbene river high country catching trout. He's got an old Aus Post office motorbike, a step through, hauling ass over alpine grass. Pretty much every one of his vids is gold, even the hiking ones. One of them he gets out into the rainforest looking for orchids.

Aussie fly

Loved the report Adam, good to see my native land. I return to southern Queensland later this year & need to stock up on some saltwater fly gear (everything is so much cheaper over here). Probably beach and tidal river / estuary fishing (not those crazy rocks). I already have a couple of 7/8 reel/line combos so was going to look at a 7 weight switch rod made for saltwater. What line would suit? Perhaps a weight forward or just go with my current switch chucker?
Richard

Thanks Richard! You will need at least warm water lines, tropical if you go in summer? Cold water lines just act like a hot noodle! Don't know what kind of line for a switch rod in warm weather saltwater, would be best to ask on the saltwater forum here! Or have a look at Australian Saltwater Flyfishing forum? Cheers Adam

Nice photo essay.... I have a few pals that guide in that area of the world.... they have a saying.... When the winds from the west its time to rest
When the winds from the south put ale to mouth
When the winds from the north its time to go forth
When the winds from the east you'll catch the beast

Latest posts