Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

FIRST!

2K views 41 replies 18 participants last post by  Nick Clayton 
#1 ·
Actually #2 the first I ended up dropping everything in the water and not being able to get a pic.

A huge thank you to everyone thatt has helped me achieve this!
Water Salmon-like fish Fish Fin Fisherman

See less See more
#11 ·
Very nice fish and congrats on #1. Keep at it and you will hook some surprises.

I went out myself today. Perfect winter PS flyfishing day. Cold, windy, rainy, fishing was slow for 3 hours and then boom, it turned on. 8-10 rezzies and 2 SRC for the day accross 3 beaches.

This style fly has been dynamite for me the last couple of weeks. I've tied it in multiple color combos but the olive and white and pink and white versions have far outfished the others. Olive and orange has produced ok as well. Some issues w/ short strikes so I am going to experiment a bit w/ shorter feathers and hooks w/ longer shanks.

Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle Carbon Bumper

Automotive lighting Hood Bumper Eyewear Vehicle door

#12 ·
Very nice fish and congrats on #1. Keep at it and you will hook some surprises.

I went out myself today. Perfect winter PS flyfishing day. Cold, windy, rainy, fishing was slow for 3 hours and then boom, it turned on. 8-10 rezzies and 2 SRC for the day accross 3 beaches.

This style fly has been dynamite for me the last couple of weeks. I've tied it in multiple color combos but the olive and white and pink and white versions have far outfished the others. Olive and orange has produced ok as well. Some issues w/ short strikes so I am going to experiment a bit w/ shorter feathers and hooks w/ longer shanks.

View attachment 160191

View attachment 160192
That's pretty similar to what I got my 1st on, only it was pink and chartreuse. Unfortunately it was a poorly made fly and fell apart. $8.00 at cabelas :( switched to a blue and white clouser minnow similar to that for #2.

#14 ·
I'll be back out tomorrow to try a new spot I checked out at low tide today. Looked pretty fishy if I can catch the tide right and the wind isn't gusting at 30mph.

There was a lot of bait/birds early on pretty far out. Thankfully they made a loop closer to shore and I could hit the edge. By the time I got myself untied out of my line they were gone lol

It was a great day!

#27 ·
Nasty out there this morning! Be safe if you made it out to the water.

Me I'm going to enjoy my second cup of coffee, eggs and bacon with the wife, and then sit down and tie flies. I'm right next to a window so I can periodically look outside and be glad I'm not out there :)
Got a late start but I'm out! Too much scotch last night lol looks like a guide out scouting the same beach. Rainy but I found some shelter from the wind :D

#28 ·
Today is absolutely miserable out here in Hansville.

I was just sitting here eating breakfast with the wife and a huge gust of wind made me think of a day a few years ago... Maybe September 2015, where a huge wind storm came thru. A bunch of us including @Stonefish and @mtskibum16 and a few others fished a local beach for coho.

Wind was from the south so we all focused on the north side of the beach. If I recall there was gusts over 40 mph that day if not higher. It was not great conditions but the coho didn't mind and we all ended up doing well. It was a real fun day beating the conditions. I remember Stonefish texting some pics from his ferry ride back across later on that day, it was pretty impressive.

I find I'm much more motivated to battle these kinds of conditions during salmon season.

#29 ·
That was a crazy storm Nick.
It was actually late August of 2015, the year of the small coho.
I was going to go meet DimeBrite and a few other board members who were camping up on Whidbey.
They sent me text messsges that tents were flying around the campground, so I bailed and joined the Kitsap Beach Posse. There was a good coho bite all day despite the constant 50 mph gusts.
The ferry ride back was interesting. They wouldn’t let anyone on the car deck due to the waves coming over the bow and running down the deck like a river.

That was a really crazy storm for that time of year.
I think winds hit close to 90 out on the coast and a couple people got killed by falling trees in the PS region.
SF

#30 ·
It's not as bad where I'm at. Occasional 30 mph gusts at most. No fish but it's been a good morning so far. Took a wave drank some salt water while watching a bald eagle waiting for him to mock me.

Getting ready to head to another location and see what I can see.

#32 ·
Adam,
I've found the Wind Alert App to be fairly accurate.
You can pinpoint favorites and it gives you a seven day wind forecast.
It also gives you wind speeds and expected gusts speeds.

You can also look at the Ferry weather site though that does help much on the canal.
http://i90.atmos.washington.edu/ferry/Ferryjs/mainframe1.htm

SF

Reactions: holtad
#33 ·
That was a crazy storm Nick.
It was actually late August of 2015, the year of the small coho.
I was going to go meet DimeBrite and a few other board members who were camping up on Whidbey.
They sent me text messsges that tents were flying around the campground, so I bailed and joined the Kitsap Beach Posse. There was a good coho bite all day despite the constant 50 mph gusts.
The ferry ride back was interesting. They wouldn't let anyone on the car deck due to the waves coming over the bow and running down the deck like a river.

That was a really crazy storm for that time of year.
I think winds hit close to 90 out on the coast and a couple people got killed by falling trees in the PS region.
SF
I also remember that day, but was on the other side of the sound. I haven't had a coho day like that since.

#36 ·
I really like Windy.com (https://www.windy.com/?47.395,-122.377,10,m:eYhacLd for an example within the Sound). You can do point forecasts and select between three forecast models with the GFS going out 16 days. You can even compare models to come up with an ensemble forecast. There's a high resolution model (NAM), a medium range (Euro) and the long range GFS. I use it both for everything from estuary fishing to heading offshore to chase tuna. It has a smart phone app (at least for IPhones) which is quite easy to use. After trying dozens... it is my go-to.

#38 ·
One day I may attempt tieing flies, currently I've got too many places to explore. My saved location list on Google maps keeps growing. Lol if nothing else I'll get a good opportunity to check out a new beach area and enjoy some coffee by the water!
I love coffee, but removing stripping basket, wrist watch, wool gloves, unbuckling backpack/chest pack, wading jacket with annoying tight wrist cuffs, unbuckeling waders, unzipping shorts, pulling down long underwear, then opening up undie pocket just to pee is almost not worth the coffee

#40 ·
Yes that is a pain in the ass, for me it's usually when I start getting in the groove of things and everything feels right, knee deep in water. Then It's a race to find a spot to pee on a wide open beach with dog walkers wondering around and no restroom facilities for 1/2 mile. Lol

#42 ·
Wind Alert is great. Another good option is WindyTV. Last summer out of Westport most of the charter captains were using that app and it was scary accurate at times. We could plan our day of bottom fishing based on when the app said the wind was going to blow and from where, and it was almost always spot on. I've been very impressed with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.