Hardy bamboo fly rod

A friend of my showed me his Hardy Palakona bamboo fly rod given to his father years ago. All sections are full length and straight. It has a black plastic reel seat and closely space intermediate wraps. All of the guides are there and look tight, and it has the Hardy lock ferrules. Now for the bad news, the varnish is “alligatored”. I would love to have this rod and offered him $20 for it. If he had accepted I would have felt guilty but would have gladly given him $40 and still felt guilty for little while. I made a couple of suggestions to him. First find a proper vintage Hardy reel to go with the rod lined with silk. Second, I recommended he have the rod restored by someone who knew his stuff. I could do a rewrap but I feel this rod is worth having a pro do the restoration. So here is the question, I would like to hear recommendations as to who you guys would recommend for such a task.

para_adams

I recently read that Brownells gunstock polish and a lot of hand polishing can bring back alligatored varnish without disturbing the original wraps. Might be worth a try.

Michael Sinclair's "Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook" includes a section on polishing rods. He says polishing is "messy and time consuming, but not at all difficult. Done properly, it can save 99.9% of the original condition."

In my opinion, Hardy's in good condition are really nice, and worth the cost of professional refinishing or restoring.

Mark Frey, who lives in Yelm, does rod restoration work. I've talked to him on the phone a few times, and the projects shown on his web site are very nice. You may want to check out his web site, contact him, and perhaps send the rod to him for an assessment. http://bamboo-rod-works.com/index.html

Also, Dennis Stone and Dwight Lyons in Oregon are well-known rod restorers.

Hope this helps.

Tom

A friend of my showed me his Hardy Palakona bamboo fly rod given to his father years ago. All sections are full length and straight. It has a black plastic reel seat and closely space intermediate wraps. All of the guides are there and look tight, and it has the Hardy lock ferrules. Now for the bad news, the varnish is “alligatored”. I would love to have this rod and offered him $20 for it. If he had accepted I would have felt guilty but would have gladly given him $40 and still felt guilty for little while. I made a couple of suggestions to him. First find a proper vintage Hardy reel to go with the rod lined with silk. Second, I recommended he have the rod restored by someone who knew his stuff. I could do a rewrap but I feel this rod is worth having a pro do the restoration. So here is the question, I would like to hear recommendations as to who you guys would recommend for such a task.
Jerry,
Ouch! $20 or even $40 is an insult...although these rods don't get the same attention and price as some other brands, still sounds like at least a $150+ rod. (just my .02) I really like my CC De France!

By the look on my face when he opened the rod tube he already knew what he had. I would have gladly given him $150 for the rod, but is was already to late.

I haven't talked to my friend since Sunday. I recommended he send the rod to Dennis Stone for restoration. The price is right and Dennis does nice work.
I have my Hardy reel, but don't have line for it yet. I will see what I can find at the Lynnwood Show in a couple of weeks.

Tim Cottage

Formerly tbc1415
I haven't talked to my friend since Sunday. I recommended he send the rod to Dennis Stone for restoration. The price is right and Dennis does nice work.
I have my Hardy reel, but don't have line for it yet. I will see what I can find at the Lynnwood Show in a couple of weeks.
Have you asked Dennis for his line recommendations? There is no one more familiar with the rod than he.

TC

Dennis sent a note with the rod and recommended Scientific Angler DT-5-F.
What do you think about a Cortland Sylk DT-5-F or Cortland Sylk WF-5-F.

Latest posts