Skagit Catch & Release debate.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Your right I'm not disagreeing with the data but the perspective I'm looking at is right now the Skagit river is the only river I know of that has a for the most part above standard of returning fish as to compared to every other system in WA that is on major decline in numbers. So Why even take the chance of ruining the fishery just so everyone can have another river to fish. I agree there are pros and cons but I think we need to look at the long term picture not O its great the river has a sustainable amount of returning fish we should open it now. Look at the Cedar river It was fabulous for the first few years with amazing fish being caught now it's just another packed with fishermen trout river that has been fished out. Keep the Skagit closed regardless of how many fish are returning because it's going to be one of the last rivers around once all the other ones take the final plunge!
Once again you are ignoring the fact that fishing had absolutely nothing to with the couple of years where steelhead numbers declined or that not fishing had little to do with the return of steelhead numbers. Keeping the Skagit closed to c&r fishing only denies fishermen an opportunity. Why are the most responsible users of the resource and the users with the lowest impact the ones those that oppose the opening always go after?

All the other ones have already took the final plunge, as to ruining the river that's up to us!

This is exactly my point what evidence is there out there to show that you won't ruin this river just like the others you admit have already taken the plunge. The answer is none. So again why EVEN take the chance just let it be .

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Because of the heavy monitoring that will take place, and the fact that sport cnr fishing has not had an impact since it's inception, and it won't once it's opened back up.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
This is exactly my point what evidence is there out there to show that you won't ruin this river just like the others you admit have already taken the plunge. The answer is none. So again why EVEN take the chance just let it be .
Your question in a logical fallacy. You can't prove a negative. That's the general problem with the line of reasoning. You are asking for proof that is impossible. I/ We have argued that the preponderance of the evidence shows that there will not be a problem but if you are asking us to prove negative then there is literally nothing that can be done to satisfy your request.

I can't guarantee that I won't get hit in the car taking my daughter to soccer. Why do I even take the chance. I take the chance because I can look at the body of evidence and my driving/ safe vehicle and I can make an informed decision that it is worth it. That's similar to the reasoning I used in supporting opening the Skagit.

Go Sox,
cds

miyawaki

Northweststeel, you said, "Keep the Skagit closed regardless of how many fish are returning because it's going to be one of the last rivers around once all the other ones take the final plunge!" and " So again why EVEN take the chance just let it be ."

Just to get this straight, are you saying that the Skagit should never ever be fished again?

Leland.

Im not ignoring what your saying. You are openly admitting that fishermen have an impact on the fishery regardless how much or how little your still impacting the fishery. The skagit is one of the few remaining protected rivers out there why not leave it alone until we can come up with a solution for all the other messes we have on our remaining rivers.

In my opinion and once again it's just an opinion no science involved I think your totally blind if you think fishermen wont have an impact. Do you know how crowed that river will be if they open it up ???? How many guides will be chomping at the bit to run trips. It will turn into the next cowlitz river regardless of method of choice it will be the best river with the most fish potential catching in the state. Not to mention all the improper handling of fish which I still believe over time affects fisheries. Not trying to bash anyone this is just how I feel about it. I wish there was more positive involvement by the state and tribes to fix the issues not just point fingers at eachother.

Once again you are ignoring the fact that fishing had absolutely nothing to with the couple of years where steelhead numbers declined or that not fishing had little to do with the return of steelhead numbers. Keeping the Skagit closed to c&r fishing only denies fishermen an opportunity. Why are the most responsible users of the resource and the users with the lowest impact the ones those that oppose the opening always go after?

Northweststeel, you said, "Keep the Skagit closed regardless of how many fish are returning because it's going to be one of the last rivers around once all the other ones take the final plunge!" and " So again why EVEN take the chance just let it be ."

Just to get this straight, are you saying that the Skagit should never ever be fished again?

Leland.
Until we can figure out how to get our other red declining fisheries out of the hole yes I would like to see it never opened . If we open it the higher chances are it will end up declining just like ever other fishery in our state. Do you not agree?

Your question in a logical fallacy. You can't prove a negative. That's the general problem with the line of reasoning. You are asking for proof that is impossible. I/ We have argued that the preponderance of the evidence shows that there will not be a problem but if you are asking us to prove negative then there is literally nothing that can be done to satisfy your request.

I can't guarantee that I won't get hit in the car taking my daughter to soccer. Why do I even take the chance. I take the chance because I can look at the body of evidence and my driving/ safe vehicle and I can make an informed decision that it is worth it. That's similar to the reasoning I used in supporting opening the Skagit.

Go Sox,
cds
You can't prove that allowing the river to turn into the cowlitz river won't affect the fishery but I can show that if you don't allow fishermen on the river it will stay intact as nature sees now. Seems like a pretty clear picture to me

Do you fish Northweststeel? If so just curious what you typically target and in what general area of the state?
Jonathan I do fish here and there mostly swing flies on the cowlitz in the summer and occasionally will float the Nooch. Probably up till about 3-4 years ago I fished a lot more but it has been not enjoyable with the amount of people anymore. Even the Deschutes river which I have fished since I was a little kid growing up as really become a shit show. Fortunate for me I have been able to enjoy a lot more of my time fishing in Belize and Mexico.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Have you ever fished the skagit, or in the spring cnr season in the past? It will not become the Cowlitz because for 1 you can not fish under power = no jets boondoggin. The Skagit is bigger than the Cowlitz and dose not give fish up easily, yes it could be busy but it will disperse as people get fustrated and stop heading up there.

NWSteel, the difference between the Skagit and "other" rivers you are referencing is that IF the Skagit is opened there are mandatory requirements to ensure proper management(daily creel checks, enforcement, etc.....) The system will be monitored and seasons adjusted based on real data. The "other" river systems don't have this and should. The data will dictate what is open and for how long.

KerryS

Ignored Member
Im not ignoring what your saying. You are openly admitting that fishermen have an impact on the fishery regardless how much or how little your still impacting the fishery. The skagit is one of the few remaining protected rivers out there why not leave it alone until we can come up with a solution for all the other messes we have on our remaining rivers.

In my opinion and once again it's just an opinion no science involved I think your totally blind if you think fishermen wont have an impact. Do you know how crowed that river will be if they open it up ???? How many guides will be chomping at the bit to run trips. It will turn into the next cowlitz river regardless of method of choice it will be the best river with the most fish potential catching in the state. Not to mention all the improper handling of fish which I still believe over time affects fisheries. Not trying to bash anyone this is just how I feel about it. I wish there was more positive involvement by the state and tribes to fix the issues not just point fingers at eachother.
You have no proof that allowing c&r fishing will negatively affect the viability of Skagit steelhead. Your argument is based on emotion and little else. You are little more than another enemy of the angling community.

Jonathan I do fish here and there mostly swing flies on the cowlitz in the summer and occasionally will float the Nooch. Probably up till about 3-4 years ago I fished a lot more but it has been not enjoyable with the amount of people anymore. Even the Deschutes river which I have fished since I was a little kid growing up as really become a shit show. Fortunate for me I have been able to enjoy a lot more of my time fishing in Belize and Mexico.
Thank you for the reply. I was just curious of where you normally fish and how it compares to the Skagit. I need to make it down to Mexico sometime soon. Florida Keys tarpon was fun though.

Latest posts