Skagit Catch & Release debate.

Not if you organize like Occupy Skagit did - grass roots. Forget the dot-orgs, they'll study it to death while you do all the heavy lifting. It took us six years. Maybe you can do it sooner.

Leland.
Opening a fishing season on a closed river is not a far comparison as to preventing a multi million dollar development company develop property . I love the optimistic people but I’m more of a realist type .

Salmo_g

I still think letting Mother Nature do it’s thing without any extra factors such as fishermen is what I believe in .
You realize, I hope, that you have just aligned yourself with PETA, who rely on an emotion-based argument to oppose fishing and hunting. With that kind of belief, how can you fish in Belize? Those fish are just as much in need of being left alone, as Mother Nature intended.

Far from it But that is your opinion I just would rather protect what is left then to risk damaging it further . Even if sport fishing only affected the skagit by a small percentage its still a small percentage that could be prevented

Not if you organize like Occupy Skagit did - grass roots. Forget the dot-orgs, they'll study it to death while you do all the heavy lifting. It took us six years. Maybe you can do it sooner.

Leland.
I’d like to hear how your grass root groups did on the Sandy River Marmot dam removal.

Reopening a healthy river is a far cry from fixing a declining river.

Pray tell how OC restored the Skagit? Perhaps I’m missing it but is sure seems like you are just opening a restored river.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
I’d like to hear how your grass root groups did on the Sandy River Marmot dam removal.

Pray tell how OC restored the Skagit? Perhaps I’m missing it but is sure seems like you are just opening a restored river.
I was at a public hearing in front of county council about 5 years ago regarding a gravel pit expansion on the S. Fork Nooksack. That river requires cold spring water for it's fish in the lower river. Any change to the hydrology is risky at best.
I testified in opposition. The NFS river steward opposed as did many South Fork residents. The council denied the application. I don't recall why it was before council.
Anyhow, this is an example of how to save remaining habitat with a small group. Fixing rivers starts with saving what is left.
As an aside no other .orgs commented but NFS. WDFW did not comment on the SEPA and no other conservation or fish group did either. Ecology did not oppose although they may not have been able to.
If a fish group wants to help fish they could push to fund a bio. or planner To comment on SEPA applications for project in watersheds with listed fish. That would be a way to help a department be better by building it up rather than tearing WDFW down. The potential reward is way higher too.

Go sox,
Cds

Northweststeel-
While I have generally been avoiding posting much on these threads (getting burned out I guess) you comments have inspired me to post again. I understand where you are coming from perfectly. However after decades involvement in the issues surrounding management steelhead and the regions other salmonids, their habitat needs and what it might take to move their populations from the edge of extinction I have come to harsh observations.

First health fish anadromous fish populations require healthy rivers. The priority has to be restoring rivers; without that restoration there will be no recovery and likely populations will continued declined. To restore rivers a passionate advocacy is essential. Those advocates besides their passion also need a connection and understanding of the river as well as the species of concern. By far the most passionate advocates that I have encountered have that connection with the river. They see how the river is changing over time, what is improving and what is going sideways. I know of no better way for any potential advocates to make the needed connections to the rivers in need is to spend time on the water with rod in hand. After more than 5 decades in these battles I'm more convinced than ever that river connection is essential. The Skagit and its steelhead have an impressive group of advocates in large part due to their connection to the river's steelhead. That passion is great enough that many of us will likely remain involved at some level whether we fish the Skagit or not until we are fishing the great river where the river is always in shape with abundant "players" to take our flies. The handful of the folks that drove the Occupy Skagit effort are mostly on the wrong side of 50 and some on the wrong side of 70. As they pass on to that great river the question becomes where will the next generation of advocates come from. If no one fishes our rivers who will be making the key connection to the river and if some are found will they have the intimate knowledge to as passionate and informed as needed to effective?

I have great concern about that without responsible fishing opportunities recruiting that next generation advocates will be iffy. If our grandkids are to have any hope of enjoying this resource folks to fill the boots of current advocates we need folks making that connect to the river and its fish.

Curt

Thank you for articulating this point. It’s been a huge frustration of mine with recent .org approaches. With such a hard line on angler methods and hatcheries, current and next generation advocacy base has been fractured.

Especially with steelhead which are somewhat of a niche species.

Out of sight, out of mind.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Well...we are NOT the Occupy Sandy River Marmot Dam group. So feel free to take it on.
And yet it has taken over five years to do the obvious so you can imagine the obstacle fixing a declining river will be. Again, feel free to pick one and get started.
What we have "restored" is a fishing season that was taken away. That was our only focus as a group and no claims have been made about restoring a river itself. Individually we have other interests as well. There are several Skagit watershed conservation and restoration groups. So...feel free to use the google, join one or more and get busy.

Well...we are NOT the Occupy Sandy River Marmot Dam group. So feel free to take it on.

And yet it has taken over five years to do the obvious so you can imagine the obstacle fixing a declining river will be. Again, feel free to pick one and get started.

What we have "restored" is a fishing season that was taken away. That was our only focus as a group and no claims have been made about restoring a river itself. Individually we have other interests as well. There are several Skagit watershed conservation and restoration groups. So...feel free to use the google, join one or more and get busy.

WW, don't get me wrong. I'm not bashing OC. I just get tired of people bashing ".orgs" that do a lot of positive work.

And despite your assumptions I did volunteer as a river steward for several years. I dropped out when I got a new job, bought a house, and had a kid all in one year. That was 3 years ago and I'm starting to get involved again, albeit it a lesser level.

Latest posts