Skagit Catch & Release debate.

So, I'll contribute a dream I have and ask a question.....

Last summer I was visiting my daughter in Seattle and took a few day jaunt up to Vancouver. I was damned excited about the drive because I was going to cross the Skagit on the interstate, a stream I'd read about where one of the coolest fish on the planet lives. I'd developed a vision of me standing gut deep in that river swinging a fly that I'd tied. As I passed over the river I made a decision to pursue the dream.....

Like other dreams I've made a reality involving fishes, I'd put the work in. I'd invest in and acquire the gear. I'd lurk then put up an intro on WFF. I'd reach out to a few hoping to glean just enough to where I felt I had a shot, a chance, at sticking a wild fish in that river. I'd plan and fly across the country, rent a place for a couple weeks, and get after it.

I haven't contributed.

If open, I'd like to fish the Skagit system for a wild C&R steelhead.

Should I?

Slimy

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
I have a copy of it. I was looking to see if they had it posted there or on Facebook and to see if there were any reader comments.

I just gotta say, as an under educated member of society, the answer is simple. BAN NETS! Period end of story.
I'm serious, and not just steelhead. I'm talking all fishing inside the Puget Sound. Any commercial fishing can be by troll fishing in the sound and rod and reel in streams. This goes for all concerned. NETS ARE WASTEFUL!
It seems simplistic beause it is.

Something else while I 'm on it.
It seems to me that steelhead have never been and never should have been a commerially harvestable fish.
Even before us euro trash showed up to muck things up, they have never had the numbers as compared to even chinook salmon .
Now, go ahead tear me up!

Klickrolf

I just gotta say, as an under educated member of society, the answer is simple. BAN NETS! Period end of story.
I'm serious, and not just steelhead. I'm talking all fishing inside the Puget Sound. Any commercial fishing can be by troll fishing in the sound and rod and reel in streams. This goes for all concerned. NETS ARE WASTEFUL!
It seems simplistic beause it is.

Something else while I 'm on it.
It seems to me that steelhead have never been and never should have been a commerially harvestable fish.
Even before us euro trash showed up to muck things up, they have never had the numbers as compared to even chinook salmon .
Now, go ahead tear me up!
Trouble is you are correct, and gill nets are designed to kill whatever they catch.

Smalma

Dave -
I believe that it still is the case that steelhead are classified as a game fish and as such illegal to sell. In the 1970s the State lost a federal court decision when they tried to enforce that for the tribal fishery. The courts basically ruled that preventing the tribes from selling steelhead would be preventing them from exercising their federal rights.

Curt

almostacatch

Let it Angle on the Dangle
Bob Thanks for this. I need to look at some membership renews and make sure they aren't on auto pay.

Advocacy is great when it works, but when it's money going blindly to a cause that's lost sight of an end maybe I don't need to lose sight of the money.

Latest posts