Unfortunate Float Tube Issue...

So I'm out fishing the other day in my float tube, when I notice a very strange, pungent smell coming from the right side storage pouch...

My roommate's cat PISSED on my damn boat! It reeks like no other and I'm worried about it ...
a) ... contaminating my flies
b) ... overall smelling like ass
c) ... attracting mountain lions when I backpack it around
d) ... attracting unwanted catfish

How should I wash it off? This whole thing may sound silly but there isn't anything in the owner's manual about removing cat piss and what I've tried (Nature's Miracle... stuff is usually rock solid) had about zero effect.

Anyone have any input or experience with this matter? Man I miss my dog.

Kilchis

You might also try just flooding it with water. Cat pee concentrates as it dries and the stench gets more pungent. Conversely, with dilution I have been able to eliminate the nasty stuff.

Jim Ficklin

Genuine Montana Fossil
Anyone have any input or experience with this matter? Man I miss my dog.
There is an odor eliminator called SCOE 10X that I've found to be very effective, although I've never tried it on cat odor (however, once troublesome feral cats are buried they don't stink at all; pet cats stink to high heaven after I live-trap them, douse 'em with skunk oil & send them home via the irresponsible owner's pet door.:cool:). I used it around my dog kennel when Hank was a pup & kenneled in my garage and it worked very well. I still spray the areas that my dog likes to use as pee-posts consistently.

I've also used used this solution to de-skunk my dogs, truck interior & hunting clothes:

De-Skunking Solution

Replace the tomato juice for a mixture of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and dawn dish soap. WAY better off. Tomato juice only masks the odor, doesn't remove it.

1 quart (or liter) of 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, H2O2.
Use fresh (unopened) hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). Hydrogen peroxide eventually turns into water (H2O).
1/4 cup (50 ml.) of Baking Soda
1 teaspoon (5 ml.) of Liquid Soap
1 pair of plastic or latex gloves

Forget what you have heard about tomato juice--it doesn't work. Skunk spray is mainly composed of low molecular weight thiol compounds. ("Thiols" are compounds with the "-SH radical" attached to a carbon atom.) In industrial applications, alkaline hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) is used for scrubbing similar compounds from waste gas streams.
Hydrogen peroxide and baking soda, when combined, become a "chemical engine" for churning out oxygen. That's why it has to be used immediately after mixing. The soap breaks up the oils in the skunk spray, allowing the other ingredients to do their work.

Good luck!

Last edited:

jwg

You can also use oxiclean, which comes a powder.
Jims formula of hydrogen peroxide and baking soda is essentially the homemade version.
Jim also adds the soap as he mentioned.
These oxidize odorous forms of sulfur and nitrogen compounds to other compounds that have less odor and more solubility in water and soap solutions.

So they become both less smelly and easier to wash away

Jay

Tinker

And if you can find the 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide, it's better than the more common 1% solution.

I tried tomato juice on a dog, once, and as I was rubbing it onto his coat, my hands started burning from the acid and can't imagine how it felt to the dog. Definitely don't recommend tomato juice for dogs, even if it would work (which it doesn't).

One answer is dirt. The urea in the cat urine is odourless, but its breakdown product, ammonia, sure does stink. Someone already mentioned dirt. Garden soil contains bacteria that produce enzymes that break down urea. The resulting ammonia is a gas, and soluble in water. So compost your float tube with garden soil and then rinse.

Latest posts