One piece shorty

Finished a new hotrod, 6'2" 4wt one piece. Haven't cast it yet but it's very light in hand. Scarfed a mid and tip, placed a guide in the middle of the scarf with semi clear wraps at the ends of the scarf. Did a thread winding check up the cork like a Orvis banty....first and last one for me! (PITA!) just need to add some fish now....
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

PhilR

In the time of chimpanzees, I was a monkey
That is sweet. Which way do you wrap that check? I assume you start on the blank up the grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve,
Just one thing
Where's the money shot?
The scarf joint, the scarf joint.....
Gotta see it.....
Hmmmmmm.....don't know if I'd call it money.... Made it with a vintage bench belt sander. When you zoom in, you can really see it, but...if you couldn't see it you might not believe it's scarfed! Kinda like a picture of a big fish......:rolleyes:
One side
image.jpg

Other side
image.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Kent,
I scarfed four tip sections and this one so far....tips are holding together. I have a '57 Hardy Rogue River that needs a 8" scarf at the tip.....but too many intermediate wraps! Been on the back burner. You should try one.

Tried both ways Phil, over and over....ended up a little better from the blank up. PAIN IN THE ASS! I'm sticking to mortised wood grips!;)
View attachment 160437
Glad I'm not the only one who finds it a pain. Bad thing for me is that I like it enough to keep doing it...More than one has had finish applied only to reveal the slightest sliver of cork showing through where it shouldn't.

That's one beauty of a rod, my friend...

Latest posts