Advice on 6 weight switch rod

I have a g Loomis 11 foot 6 weight switch rod. What is better to throw a scandi line or Skagit line? This will be my trout rod and pink salmon rod. Most of the water I will be fishing is less than 5 feet deep. I will be throwing small woolie buggers and other small streamers. I was considering the sa spey light in 330 scandi or as spey light in 360 Skagit. What do you guys suggest? I am pretty new with switch rods.

Are you beach fishing for Pinks or in the river. If on the Beach forget both the Skagit and Scandi Heads and go with a intergrated switch line. It is easier to strip right into the poly leader and then get it back out again.

If in the river then go with either a intergrated switch line or Scandi. As the Skagit is only needed for throwing heavy tips and flies. Another option would be an Airflo Rage, which is a combination between a scandi and skagit.

There are a ton of options, and there really is not one do it all line.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

If I were throwing small flies using touch and go casting, my line of choice would be a scandi. However, if my back was against an obstruction, I would be on some sort of short skagit head i.e. OPST, Switch or Skagit Max Short. Another choice would be the Airflo Rage. You have a lot of options.
Tight lines,
Keith

longstick

I have a g Loomis 11 foot 6 weight switch rod. What is better to throw a scandi line or Skagit line? This will be my trout rod and pink salmon rod. Most of the water I will be fishing is less than 5 feet deep. I will be throwing small woolie buggers and other small streamers. I was considering the sa spey light in 330 scandi or as spey light in 360 Skagit. What do you guys suggest? I am pretty new with switch rods.
I would recommend a 420 skagit and a 360 Scandi

I have a 5wt 11' switch that I use for small water steelhead and trout. I like using a scandi head for unweighted flies with a short versileader, and a skagit for weighted flies and/or longer tips/VLs. For my particular rod, I use a #5 rio scandi body for the former and a 275 OPST commando for the latter. I find myself reaching for the scandi more often than not on most of my home waters, which usually fish well with unweighted size 3-8 spey flies on intermediate or slow sinking VLs.

Unfortunately, the common advice in this situation is to just buy and try a few heads. It would be nice if we could develop a community rental library of sorts through donatoins so that people could try a bunch of stuff and see what is a good match before buying. My local fly shop rents out heads for $5, then credits you toward a purchase once you find what you like. I found this system pretty useful and need to employ it again as I just got a 6wt that I need to match a scandi head to.

landlocked

. My local fly shop rents out heads for $5, then credits you toward a purchase once you find what you like. I found this system pretty useful and need to employ it again as I just got a 6wt that I need to match a scandi head to.
In a few years we may be able to 3-D print our own lines at home! Love that idea. I've got a bunch of heads for trout applications that may never see my use after the failed first time, but I keep them around because I don't know who's going to need what on the next multi-day trip.

I would go with the compact Skagit. I tie my buggers weighted & it helps turn them over. 360 would be plenty if you are going with a shorter T10-11 tip. If not then I would try and track down a steelhead scandi

longstick

I have a 5wt 11' switch that I use for small water steelhead and trout. I like using a scandi head for unweighted flies with a short versileader, and a skagit for weighted flies and/or longer tips/VLs. For my particular rod, I use a #5 rio scandi body for the former and a 275 OPST commando for the latter. I find myself reaching for the scandi more often than not on most of my home waters, which usually fish well with unweighted size 3-8 spey flies on intermediate or slow sinking VLs.

Unfortunately, the common advice in this situation is to just buy and try a few heads. It would be nice if we could develop a community rental library of sorts through donatoins so that people could try a bunch of stuff and see what is a good match before buying. My local fly shop rents out heads for $5, then credits you toward a purchase once you find what you like. I found this system pretty useful and need to employ it again as I just got a 6wt that I need to match a scandi head to.
What 5110 do you have? That 275 opst seams light unless it’s the old zaxis

4sallypat

Love my G Loomis 5wt PRO4X 10'6" switch rod - it is my all around go to rod - it's the most versatile rod I have - it can throw lines from light SH WF to heavy Skagit heads without a hitch!

Here's what I use on the G Loomis:
Scandi, I use the Gaelforce ESSS 380gr 33' head & various polyleaders.
Subsurface river swinging, I use the Airflo Scout Skagit 360gr 19' head w/ iMOW tips.
Salt / bay / estuary, I use the Airflo Beach SH sink tip line w/ T8.
Skinny rivers in tight spots I use the OPST Commando 275gr 15' w/ various polyleaders.
Scandi / dry fly / single hand casting I use an 8wt WF SH line for fishing from a boat...

As for demo lines, I have been lucky to have used Headhunters in Craig, MT to try many different lines on real moving waters for the day....
I do end up buying most of them...

Latest posts