Pattern EP Baitfish

This is my first attempt at a EP Baitfish. I wanted to tie some small minnow or perch type patterns. I need to use less material to thin out the body a little bit and continue to work on shape, but I wasn’t sure how it would look once it’s wet. This is on a size 8 B10S. It is 2 1/2 inches long. If I’m targeting trout do you think I should go a bit smaller?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks great Mike, it will thin out when wet but I'd just trim the belly a little bit more to expose the hook and you're good to go. Nice job ! I been playing with these as well, been using Senyo's Lazer dub for the bodies.

Hell no, Mike. If anything, I'd go bigger hook, unless you are targeting smaller fish. Big ones like a meal. Nice tie!
Definitely not targeting smaller fish. My plan was to having something 2" or less, and the size 8 seemed about right. Definitely going to grab something in the sz4 or sz6. the 8 is just too small I think.

BN2FSH

Nice looking fly, but I would make it a little skinnier for trout. What species of trout are you targeting? I don't use baitfish much for rainbows here in Alaska since there are so many better options, like lampreys. However, for browns I love using bait fish. I like the B10S for this type of fly. Try tying this with one of the farrar blends with some flash built in. However, I am using more and more congo hair, for all of my small baitfish flies. It is so much less expensive than the alternatives and it comes in lots of colors (as already mentioned).

Nice looking fly, but I would make it a little skinnier for trout. What species of trout are you targeting? I don't use baitfish much for rainbows here in Alaska since there are so many better options, like lampreys. However, for browns I love using bait fish. I like the B10S for this type of fly. Try tying this with one of the farrar blends with some flash built in. However, I am using more and more congo hair, for all of my small baitfish flies. It is so much less expensive than the alternatives and it comes in lots of colors (as already mentioned).
Targeting browns, bows, and tigers in various lakes that I know hold small baitfish (perch, shiners, etc) along the reeds and banks.
I wish I had heard of this congo hair before I bought several packs of the EP stuff.

Highly recommend checking out fly tiers dungeon. That site is a total game changer.

As long as theyre in business I will never buy adhesive eyes, flash, dubbing, or synthetic hairs anyway else. Their prices can't be beat, nobody even comes close, their color selections are unbelievable, and they have some really unique combo type materials that are unlike anything I've used before.

Go on there and order 40 or 50 bucks of stuff, you'll be blown away at how much that will buy you.

For reference this was an order I received a few weeks ago. Spent a hundred bucks on this haul.

IMG_20180105_151704986.jpg