Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beach Camping

Tags
beach camping
2K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  nailbender 
#1 · (Edited)
I got out camping this weekend with my Fiance. We loaded up the tarps and left Saturday morning to set up camp near a south sound beach:

Plant Plant community Tent Ecoregion Tarpaulin

After setting up camp, we fished through the afternoon. My Fiance fished baitfish patterns on an intermediate and I fished gurglers on a floater.

I was able to get two quick one and done grabs on the gurgler; stripping in with the current, parallel to shore:

Salmon-like fish Fish Fisherman Oncorhynchus Trout

Water Hood Automotive tire Reptile Glove

They were covered in Argulids. Is there any way to safely help the fish and remove the parasites? Pour fresh water over them? It would be nice to be able to help them out. I reported the parasite counts to CCC.

Fluid Fish Liquid Cuttlefish Underwater

Vertebrate Water Automotive tire Mammal Wood

We went back to camp and sat around the fire drinking and cooking. Threw some pink salmon in tin foil on the coals- not bad for campfire food.

Around 7:30 PM I decided it was foolish to be so close to the beach without fishing. So I grabbed my rod and walked down in the dark. The fish activity was out of control! The stars and and human light pollution lit up the water well enough to see when strikes occured on the gurglers, but not well enough to see the gurglers v-wake as I stripped.

It felt like I was having strikes on every third cast for a 30 minute period. I brought two to hand, and lost several others, including a big sucker that made quiet the ruckus in the shallows before spitting my hook.

After 30 minutes the activity died pretty quick.

I went back to camp and cracked a couple more beers, thinking there isn't any better way to spend a weekend.

I got skunked in the morning. Can't wait to get back out.

Tristan

See less See more
#3 ·
Very nice.

I am pretty sure I recognize that campsite! That place seems to be more popular this winter w/ flyfisherman than years past. Last couple of weekends I’ve seen multiple groups fishing there. I think every SRC I have caught from that spot is covered...

#5 ·
I have not stopped to fish since mid December. The 3 times I have swung past since had multiple guys fishing.

I posted a fish pic from that spot (assuming it is the same location - I'll PM you what I think it is) about a month ago. I had a thought and brought this up recently on this site; how easy is it to pull location from a photo posted on this site. Come to find out -very easy! Googled it and tested it on two photos posted on this site recently. Suffice it to say, it worked. I will not be posting any pics from my phone on this site unless location tagging is turned off. I took some pics of rezzies I caught Saturday and did not post them after researching this.

Not saying that's what happened at this spot. Not sure people pay attention much to my posts, plus it's a public beach and I have seen other guys there before. However, not this early and not this often.

Fair warning - turn off location tagging on your phone!! As an FYI, the photos I tested it on did not yield any secret spots to me. A spot that rhymes w/ birdy was one of them.....

#6 ·
Just an FYI.... You can download a free app to your phone and run all your pics thru that to be sure
I've experienced the same problem with people getting info from pics.

I use an app called ExifEraser. Super simple and works well.

You can also turn that option off on your phone but I still often use the app to be safe.

#9 ·
I got out camping this weekend with my Fiance. We loaded up the tarps and left Saturday morning to set up camp near a south sound beach:

View attachment 160427

After setting up camp, we fished through the afternoon. My Fiance fished baitfish patterns on an intermediate and I fished gurglers on a floater.

I was able to get two quick one and done grabs on the gurgler; stripping in with the current, parallel to shore:

View attachment 160320

View attachment 160321

They were covered in Argulids. Is there any way to safely help the fish and remove the parasites? Pour fresh water over them? It would be nice to be able to help them out. I reported the parasite counts to CCC.

View attachment 160322

View attachment 160323

We went back to camp and sat around the fire drinking and cooking. Threw some pink salmon in tin foil on the coals- not bad for campfire food.

Around 7:30 PM I decided it was foolish to be so close to the beach without fishing. So I grabbed my rod and walked down in the dark. The fish activity was out of control! The stars and and human light pollution lit up the water well enough to see when strikes occured on the gurglers, but not well enough to see the gurglers v-wake as I stripped.

It felt like I was having strikes on every third cast for a 30 minute period. I brought two to hand, and lost several others, including a big sucker that made quiet the ruckus in the shallows before spitting my hook.

After 30 minutes the activity died pretty quick.

I went back to camp and cracked a couple more beers, thinking there isn't any better way to spend a weekend.

I got skunked in the morning. Can't wait to get back out.

Tristan
How was the tent camping?

Did you stay warm and dry?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.