Teriaki Beef Jerky

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
I'm sharing this since it came out pretty tasty. Nothing like a few pieces of jerky to take along out fishing right?

LARRY'S TERIAKI JERKY RECIPE

4.5-5 lbs. of Bottom Round roast or beef flank steak. Fred Meyer’s will slice it for you for no cost.

Brine Mix:

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 tablespoon Kosher salt or sea salt

1-1/2 to 2 cups teriaki sauce (Panda Express Mandarin)

2 cups Worcestershire sauce

½ cup Soy sauce

¾ to 1 cup water

1 cup of Burgundy or red wine (or red blend)

4 teaspoons of Black pepper

4 teaspoons of Onion powder

2 teaspoons of Garlic powder

½ teaspoon of Cayenne pepper

1-2 Shots of Whiskey (optional- I didn’t have any on hand!)

Soak 18 hours or overnight. Remove and pat dry, load in smoker or oven. If you do oven, add 3 teaspoons of liquid smoke to recipe, otherwise smoke with two to three pans of Cherry Chips. Smoke/drying time in smoker approximately 6 hours or longer. Check for dryness. I ended the last hour or a bit more in the oven at 170 degrees.

Last edited:

Stonefish

Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater
Sounds good Larry.
If one was to do this in the oven, what temp and length of time would you recommend?

Thanks,
SF

dryflylarry

"Chasing Riseforms"
Sounds good Larry.
If one was to do this in the oven, what temp and length of time would you recommend?

Thanks,
SF
Brian,
I finished mine in the oven but haven't tried the entire oven way. Things I've read range in time. It looks like 2-4 hours at 170 degrees, but it is best to keep an eye on it. 170 degrees seems common. One person that I read said to keep the oven door cracked open. I had mine in the smoker and used only two pans of cherry chips for about 5 hours. It was cool outside, so my Big Chief wasn't warm enough, so I tried throwing it in the oven then for about an hour or 90 minutes. I think it a matter of "babysitting" it while in the oven.