Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Nassau in 1 week - Advice for DIY Bahamas

Tags
in
2K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  Gohincapie 
#1 ·
every once in a while you get lucky. My wife was invited to President's club, and this year it's in the Bahamas!

Looking for some advice. At first I didn't think I would have time to get away, but it now looks like I have at least 1 full free day. I have never fished the flats anywhere, and don't know much. I have very little time to prepare, we take a red-eye next Wednesday, the 31st.

Some questions that pop up. Is it easy to get a license? Easy to rent a car? Would it be a waste to DIY? (not sure there would be an option to get out with a guide given the short notice). Do I need to get flats boots? I would assume that my 8 wt would be the right rod. What else should I be thinking of?

We'll be staying on the north end (Atlantis), and according to an article I was reading the south end is where you want to be.

Any info would be appreciated!!

#2 ·
8 wt will be fine
Tropical Floating line.
No need to spend the money on flats boots for just one day of fishing unless you intend to wear them on future trips. A pair of canvas Chuck Taylor’s would work in a pinch. Pack them or buy them there and leave them for a local when you leave.

Tan Gotchas. From no eyes, bead chain eyes to lead eyes. Sizes 4-8
By the time you rent a car and drive around to do DIY, you might find spending the dollars on a guide to be work it. You’ll get more shots and see a lot more fishy territory out of a flats boat.

Call some of the lodges to see if they’ll have guide available on the day you want to fish.
There are probably independent guides available as well.
Have fun
SF

#3 ·
8 wt will be fine
Tropical Floating line.
No need to spend the money on flats boots for just one day of fishing unless you intend to wear them on future trips. A pair of canvas Chuck Taylor's would work in a pinch. Pack them or buy them there and leave them for a local when you leave.

Tan Gotchas. From no eyes, bead chain eyes to lead eyes. Sizes 4-8
By the time you rent a car and drive around to do DIY, you might find spending the dollars on a guide to be work it. You'll get more shots and see a lot more fishy territory out of a flats boat.

Call some of the lodges to see if they'll have guide available on the day you want to fish.
There are probably independent guides available as well.
Have fun
SF
Thank you!!

#4 ·
Chris,
I'll look around and see what I have as far as bonefish lines.
You are welcome to use them rather then having to buy a line for just one day of fishing.
I work in Kirkland so a drop off should be pretty easy.

I'll let you know what I have by tomorrow.
SF

#9 ·
Chris,
I'll look around and see what I have as far as bonefish lines.
You are welcome to use them rather then having to buy a line for just one day of fishing.
I work in Kirkland so a drop off should be pretty easy.

I'll let you know what I have by tomorrow.
SF
Thank you so much! I am going to call a couple guides tomorrow and see if they can squeeze me in so thinking they might have gear. Anyone know if it would be a waste of time to cast right in front of the Atlantis resort?

#6 ·
Given zero experience on flats, if you want to actually 1.see and 2. catch fish, get a guide. All you can really do here is be certain your double haul is up to snuff. And practise casting in a wind (360 degrees!). If you hire a guide, check - some have everything you need which saves the hassle of travelling with gear. If I was only going to fish for one day, I’d enquire. Three days or more, nice to have your own.

#11 ·
In front of the resort I don't think it would be productive, swam there in the lagoon and didn't see any fish.
If you can't make it out of Atlantis with a guide then rent a boat by the marina just across the bridge and have them take you out by the fish feeding area in front of Oprah's luxury home, lots of fish(not sure what kind) that would be fun on a 6wt.

If you can get a guide then yes practice casting in the wind, it's no joke :) guide will put you within 40ft so aim for that sort of distance at least.

Another bit of info, the earliest and latest flight out of Nassau to the other islands is to Abaco, which makes it feasible for a day trip.

Lou

#12 · (Edited)
It can be done. With some extreme luck, I caught my avatar fish DIY on a public beach south of Nassau. Also hooked and lost slightly smaller fish due to a straightened hook.

I had snorkeled the same beach earlier that morning and saw few cuda , needlefish and a couple of bluegill sized permit. The cuda were mostly small ones around 1' but I did see a larger one about 3' long cruising further out. Didnt see any bones in the morning (trust me, I looked before snorkeling). The bones showed as the afternoon high tide starting running out.

#13 · (Edited)
Hi Chris

Prepare to become addicted. Bonefish are my one of my favorite saltwater fish besides baby tarpon and top water redfish.

2 of my top suggestions, especially since you have limited time

1 :study google earth maps as much as possible. Look for a couple flats that can be accessed by roads. If you don't know what to look for, let me know and I can send some suggestions. Typically large white sandy flats with a nearby deeper channel and mangrove access are key.

2 :Tides, tides, tides. Although height changes are small, bonefish follow the tides. Typically they will move in on a flat when a tide is just starting to add some coverage, working their way into mangroves to feed on crustaceans. If you are starting on a high tide, they will start flushing out of the mangroves back into deeper water.

These are basic generalizations.

For flies, it's good to have smaller sizes just in case, size 4 and 6, with and without eyes.

Here's a good resource too
http://diybonefishing.com/

Have fun

#15 · (Edited)
2:) Tides, tides, tides. Although height changes are small, bonefish follow the tides. Typically they will move in on a flat when a tide is just starting to add some coverage, working their way into mangroves to feed on crustaceans. If you are starting on a high tide, they will start flushing out of the mangroves back into deeper water.
True, the bones were there on a high to falling tide. This beach was on a large flat that very gradually increased in depth further out. There was no real drop off that I found, but I'd say it was at least 100 yards out before the depth was such it wasn't a wade-able flat in the standard sense. While there were no mangroves, the depth was sufficient to allow just enough wave action to stir up the sand pretty well with the tide in.

The 3 bones I saw were cruising close to the beach, apparently picking stuff off inside, or just outside the wash zone. The first bone was rooting around in the wash only 10' or so off the beach. I was looking further out and didn't spot it until I was uncomfortably close. Fortunately it was too busy grubbing in the sand soup and didn't spook. Unfortunately, the epoxy crab it ate was tied on a Gami SC15 which it promptly straightened.

And ditto on the DIY bonefishing site. It's loaded with great information, tips, and decades of DIY bonefish experience. I credit much of my one fish success to what I learned there.

https://diyfishing.com/2015/02/01/diy-on-new-providence/

#16 ·
Short bonefish tutorial. Look for the fish. They do green or silver. Bones in bahamas on the flats do silver and are tough to see. Look for the shadow of the fish and the flash of one turning sideways in a school. If it is skinny water you will see wakes, nervous water and tails. Try and see their direction of movement. Cast fly and let it sink to sand and give little tug, you want the fly to puff in the sand. The bonefish will zoom over and check it out. Give a little tug and if you come tight a slight set, short strip into the fish's mouth. Then try and clear line and get them on the reel. Rod tip up and trun them away from structure. If it is a school in a v formation, don't cast to lead fish. That is the wing man, cast to the side of the school and a bone will race out and eat the fly. If the fish is over your fly, he has it in his mouth. If you see a little shake, he just felt the point of the hook, set or he will spit it. Your guide will spot fish 100-50 yards out, wait and cast at 40-60 feet. You will catch more fish at that distance then trying to bomb a cast. Don't line the fish you will spook them. Don't cast at fish moving away, you will only spook them. If they spook wait 10 minutes, they sometimes come right back. If they are tailing, get the fly close, like 6 inches off their nose. Good luck, you can DIY, but will catch more fish if you hire a guide. Mems.

#17 ·
Don't discount the beach right nearby Atlantis either. Not exactly the flats that the bahamas are known for, but definitely still are fish around there. I spent some time near the rock jetty about a quarter mile from there and hooked into some super fun palometa. Only 16" but put a NICE bend in my 8wt rod. Small (sz 8-10) clousers chartreuse/tan, cream/white, tan or shrimp pink gotchas and crazy charlies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.