How do you affix your guides prior to wrapping?

I've had a 3wt blank sitting in the corner for far too long and I finally got off my butt and started working on it. Something I've always struggled with is holding the guides in place on the blank before I start wrapping them. I recall in the past cutting thin strips of masking tape to wrap the guide feet in place, and last night I was trying to use some thin tape that I think may be old pinstriping tape or something. The tape doesn't seem to want to hold very well, though.

So what do y'all use to hold those feetses in place until you can get some thread wrapped over them? Just wondering if I'm missing something more effective.

Old406Kid

I cut little rubber bands out of small surgical tubing with a razor blade and slide them up the blank and onto the guide accordingly. Once the thread starts to hold the guide you can just touch them with the razor blade and they're gone.

nailbender

What Old Kid said. If you find them to big on the tip section just double or triple them up.

edit. the problem with tape is it sometimes leaves a adhesive residue that gets on your thread.

I get my 1/8" tape a fabric store. It is called quilting tape. There are some rubber bands made for this purpose. I think Mudhole sells them. You can get the tubing at hobby shops (not Hobby Lobby). It is used as fuel line and has a very small ID. In fact you can get in different sizes.

I removed the pistriping tape from the guides I had started as it kept coming off, and then cut strips of 3M painters tape to use instead. It's holding much better, but I should have used my fly tying scissors to cut the strips thinner for these little guide feet. The biggest issue is just getting the tape wrapped with my big sausage fingers.

Old406Kid

I removed the pistriping tape from the guides I had started as it kept coming off, and then cut strips of 3M painters tape to use instead. It's holding much better, but I should have used my fly tying scissors to cut the strips thinner for these little guide feet. The biggest issue is just getting the tape wrapped with my big sausage fingers.
Try the surgical tube rubber bands some time.
Easy Peasy!...and the guides are adjustable.

jwg

I cut little rubber bands out of small surgical tubing with a razor blade and slide them up the blank and onto the guide accordingly. Once the thread starts to hold the guide you can just touch them with the razor blade and they're gone.
I do this as well

Kind of sick of dealing with tape...Stumbled across this on eBay not long ago...Couple people were selling them for .50 each...But, if you have women in the house, the materials are probably on a bathroom counter.

I’ve only done a couple guides with it, but, so far, works pretty well. Guides are held reasonably well, are easily adjusted without compromising grip, leaves no residue of any kind, is reusable, and costs about a penny.

So far, I like it.

C5C72C47-5EC5-4C8E-8225-9166D46A0B81.jpeg

Lue Taylor

Lue Taylor/dbfly
Kind of sick of dealing with tape...Stumbled across this on eBay not long ago...Couple people were selling them for .50 each...But, if you have women in the house, the materials are probably on a bathroom counter.

I’ve only done a couple guides with it, but, so far, works pretty well. Guides are held reasonably well, are easily adjusted without compromising grip, leaves no residue of any kind, is reusable, and costs about a penny.

So far, I like it.

View attachment 162557
What happens when you use single foot guides?

Latest posts