Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Where do Ressies come from?

Tags
come where
5K views 50 replies 21 participants last post by  Bill on the bay 
#1 ·
I know the Squaxin tribe has planted hatchery, fin clipped coho on South end of Vashon and south end of Whidby island in the past per a you tube video I saw last winter. Rumor has it they are no longer planting Ressies.

Where is the current batch of ressie size fin clipped coho coming from now?

I asked this at a fly shop today and it appears the fin clipped ressies we are enjoying now may not be public knowledge on who is stocking them now that natives have given up on them.

#40 ·
I did not know they were raising fish at Coulter since the hatchery was closed down. But man I remember the good old days of just 20, and 30 years ago!
We used to fish the upper creek for cutts, and also the lower creek used to be open up to the hatchery until October. We caught cutts and steelhead. Saw lots of both summer and fall chum, Chinook and Coho. Earlier in the season we would fish the Salt with float tubes and rafts. Caught a few Kings on bobber and herring. All those creeks had fish. Rocky creek had some huge Kings in it. Some of the creeks had more bright Coho in January than Steelhead.
Unfortunately it seems that Wdfw has given up on wild fish recovery in creeks.
Those that want to plant fish should look at all the creeks that have been wiped out by pollution and over fishing. We should be planting every salmonid in them they will support!

#42 ·
yah they don't take fish there any more but this spring the rearing ponds had fish in them . I feel like due to its location maybe the minter creek hatchery utilizes those ponds now. not really saltwater related but does anyone know if a hatchery like that closes down can it be bought or run by a private party eventually? curious because it is hard to see a decent location like that just deteriorate the way it is. I will check whn I drive by to see if they start running them again soon. then I moved back in mid march they had fish. I will contact minter creek to see if they have any info on it also

#43 ·
The "delayed release" group of coho continue to be released from the south sound netpens. Previous releases used ad/left vent clips for ID. Now the coho are ad clip/tagged (CWT). The intention is that tag recoveries in the various fisheries will give managers more project data/information than was seen with just specific clipping. The fish being reared at the Coulter Cr facility would be chinook for the Tumwater Falls program (Deschutes River).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.