Seal Skinz Product Testing Report

Mark Mercer

Update and further info.

My claw like hand is allowing me to type a bit and do mundane tasks like tie my work boots. It has been 48 hours so the real aches and pains are dwindled but new ones arrive. If you are going to do battle with the quart size chromers of the sound you really should have a physical therapy and preparation program in place. Alternatively you could pace yourself and not chrome out to near hospitalization. Alas though when the chrome is there one must slake their chrome thirst in the times of plenty. I would rather wear my body out in battle and slide sideways into Valhalla with a figurative full stringer of chrome and experiences to lay on Odin's table in The Great Hall demanding drink for the feastthan motor in leaving no wake and meekly requesting a goblet of mead . Apparently all the years of cold water kayaking without hand protection and being in the throws of "the grip" (a term for white knuckles and moderate healthy fear) are starting to catch up. Add to that a vibrating saw for the early years in life and such furious fishing and you get this situation. I am just not used to such high speed active stripping. I am amazed at which the speed increases the effect of the fly. A stillwater trout angler would cringe if they saw the speed at which you fish the fly out there. Denny Rickards himself would likely have a stroke seeing such speed and physicality employed to catch fish. At any rate the pain is nothing a whisky can't fix. My back is doing surprisingly well which is probably due in large part to the flat elevated wood platform I got to stand on. Being a real wood appreciator myself I loved the wood appointments on Bart's ever quiet and effective tide prowler. Plus wood does not steal ones body heat, a good thing in adverse conditions we faced. My arm is actually sore from the sheer number of quart size chromers I roped, a rarity for me as I normally don't catch that many fish in several seasons of river angling. If one likes to be actually catching fish then this trip is for you. Don't walk, don't think, RUN and get out there. A well appointed skiff and some know how is a must however as I would have likely flailed unsuccessfully if I undertook such a task on my own. I was very grateful to be aboard with such well seasoned professionals. It almost felt illegal as far as the fun quotient achieved and the lack of other anglers. I even had to ask if the fishery was in fact open as there were no other souls partaking of such excellent goods. I would not have been surprised a bit to be ticketed for enjoying myself too much. Constant action that is earned through good technique and immediate feedback for poor is the name of the game. Like Nick said I squandered my first half dozen chances. Not to worry as the chances numbered in the three digit realm. This is really solid good fishing here. It is so nice to fish for something that is plentiful and not in dire trouble as far a population goes. I am shocked at the lack of traffic out there. I am also hooked and will be outfitting myself for this type of fishing with a couple echo 3's. No frustration, no crowds, just good clean chromer slaying. The fish are quite beautiful. I was not prepared for this aspect as a lifetime of unicorn seeking has left me with no shortage of pretty fins to gawk at. The rezzies were a real pretty chrome hue with wonderful back colors and accents that ran from purple, green, blue, and all shades in between. They were spotted in different densities and had forked tails reminiscent of kokanee. The cutts were all different shades and beautifully marked. At one point there was a horde of fish repeatedly following the fly and you could see many varieties at once. There was one mean ass cutt that nobody caught. He bullied his way around the pack more interested in beating up on any fish looking at the squimp than actually eating it. This made for some emotional moments and near misses. He was my favorite piscatorial cast member of the day.

On the fashion front. I was wearing the Norrona Svalbard parka. It is a no bullshit gor tex pro shell masterpiece of traditional styling and ample pockets. It is perfect for this type of fishing as it is long, waterproof and with many pockets. The pockets are not zipper type which is a boon if you have a non working hand. The bibs are of the Watershed variety gor tex as well. These bibs are my cadillac workwear that is reserved for non saw gas days and clean mature stands of timber free of brambles. Both items are excellent in build and function. I am aware the color combo bothered Nick most of the day. He was kind enough to not say anything but I will be requesting that Norrona make a matching blue color to fit the oceanic motif of the bibs. The hat is a favorite of mine. It is an Outdoor Research Olympia, an improved version over the venerable Seattle Sombrero that embodies all the "north to Alaska" classic look of a Filson product while still retaining actual functionality and not wearing like tree bark. It also comes as a fraction of the price so one might own a couple. To further add to its seduction it doesn't shrink throughout the day leaving the user with a headache and mental problems often found in heavy Filson users. I purposely wore non water resistant shoes to give the Sealskinz a real test. They worked beautifully. I was slightly damp from sweat, no doubt due to the heavy wool Filson socks I was wearing under them, a bargain at $99.00. I will go raw Sealskin on the next test and report my results.

All in all I will recover. When I do I will be looking to get back out there. What a blast and a big thanks to both Nick and Bart for showing me the ropes to slay chromers with. I slayed way more fish on that squimp than any hevibead ever thought of. Ever see a shell pink organism being stripped in at varying speeds by an inexperienced angler losing grip on his fly line in the wild? Me neither but tell that the the bevy of chromers that got roped with it.

Great post Chromers !!! Fun read and well written, thanks. Between you and Swimmy we could all be stylin !

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
Update and further info.

My claw like hand is allowing me to type a bit and do mundane tasks like tie my work boots. It has been 48 hours so the real aches and pains are dwindled but new ones arrive. If you are going to do battle with the quart size chromers of the sound you really should have a physical therapy and preparation program in place. Alternatively you could pace yourself and not chrome out to near hospitalization. Alas though when the chrome is there one must slake their chrome thirst in the times of plenty. I would rather wear my body out in battle and slide sideways into Valhalla with a figurative full stringer of chrome and experiences to lay on Odin's table in The Great Hall demanding drink for the feastthan motor in leaving no wake and meekly requesting a goblet of mead . Apparently all the years of cold water kayaking without hand protection and being in the throws of "the grip" (a term for white knuckles and moderate healthy fear) are starting to catch up. Add to that a vibrating saw for the early years in life and such furious fishing and you get this situation. I am just not used to such high speed active stripping. I am amazed at which the speed increases the effect of the fly. A stillwater trout angler would cringe if they saw the speed at which you fish the fly out there. Denny Rickards himself would likely have a stroke seeing such speed and physicality employed to catch fish. At any rate the pain is nothing a whisky can't fix. My back is doing surprisingly well which is probably due in large part to the flat elevated wood platform I got to stand on. Being a real wood appreciator myself I loved the wood appointments on Bart's ever quiet and effective tide prowler. Plus wood does not steal ones body heat, a good thing in adverse conditions we faced. My arm is actually sore from the sheer number of quart size chromers I roped, a rarity for me as I normally don't catch that many fish in several seasons of river angling. If one likes to be actually catching fish then this trip is for you. Don't walk, don't think, RUN and get out there. A well appointed skiff and some know how is a must however as I would have likely flailed unsuccessfully if I undertook such a task on my own. I was very grateful to be aboard with such well seasoned professionals. It almost felt illegal as far as the fun quotient achieved and the lack of other anglers. I even had to ask if the fishery was in fact open as there were no other souls partaking of such excellent goods. I would not have been surprised a bit to be ticketed for enjoying myself too much. Constant action that is earned through good technique and immediate feedback for poor is the name of the game. Like Nick said I squandered my first half dozen chances. Not to worry as the chances numbered in the three digit realm. This is really solid good fishing here. It is so nice to fish for something that is plentiful and not in dire trouble as far a population goes. I am shocked at the lack of traffic out there. I am also hooked and will be outfitting myself for this type of fishing with a couple echo 3's. No frustration, no crowds, just good clean chromer slaying. The fish are quite beautiful. I was not prepared for this aspect as a lifetime of unicorn seeking has left me with no shortage of pretty fins to gawk at. The rezzies were a real pretty chrome hue with wonderful back colors and accents that ran from purple, green, blue, and all shades in between. They were spotted in different densities and had forked tails reminiscent of kokanee. The cutts were all different shades and beautifully marked. At one point there was a horde of fish repeatedly following the fly and you could see many varieties at once. There was one mean ass cutt that nobody caught. He bullied his way around the pack more interested in beating up on any fish looking at the squimp than actually eating it. This made for some emotional moments and near misses. He was my favorite piscatorial cast member of the day.

On the fashion front. I was wearing the Norrona Svalbard parka. It is a no bullshit gor tex pro shell masterpiece of traditional styling and ample pockets. It is perfect for this type of fishing as it is long, waterproof and with many pockets. The pockets are not zipper type which is a boon if you have a non working hand. The bibs are of the Watershed variety gor tex as well. These bibs are my cadillac workwear that is reserved for non saw gas days and clean mature stands of timber free of brambles. Both items are excellent in build and function. I am aware the color combo bothered Nick most of the day. He was kind enough to not say anything but I will be requesting that Norrona make a matching blue color to fit the oceanic motif of the bibs. The hat is a favorite of mine. It is an Outdoor Research Olympia, an improved version over the venerable Seattle Sombrero that embodies all the "north to Alaska" classic look of a Filson product while still retaining actual functionality and not wearing like tree bark. It also comes as a fraction of the price so one might own a couple. To further add to its seduction it doesn't shrink throughout the day leaving the user with a headache and mental problems often found in heavy Filson users. I purposely wore non water resistant shoes to give the Sealskinz a real test. They worked beautifully. I was slightly damp from sweat, no doubt due to the heavy wool Filson socks I was wearing under them, a bargain at $99.00. I will go raw Sealskin on the next test and report my results.

All in all I will recover. When I do I will be looking to get back out there. What a blast and a big thanks to both Nick and Bart for showing me the ropes to slay chromers with. I slayed way more fish on that squimp than any hevibead ever thought of. Ever see a shell pink organism being stripped in at varying speeds by an inexperienced angler losing grip on his fly line in the wild? Me neither but tell that the the bevy of chromers that got roped with it.

This has got to be top five posts to ever grace the pages of this forum.

GOTY

9x Puget Sound Steelhead Guide of the Year
I would rather wear my body out in battle and slide sideways into Valhalla with a figurative full stringer of chrome and experiences to lay on Odin's table in The Great Hall demanding drink for the feast rather than motor in leaving no wake and meekly requesting a goblet of mead .

Less than a month into 2018 and we have the post of the year.

wanative

Retired, gone fishin'
WFF Supporter
Dang Nick, I should have called in sick for work. This thread will haunt me for the rest of my days. Shoulda, woulda, coulda, oh well.:confused:
On a positive note, You guys rocked it.
I loved your report, it was a fricken riot.
I was laughing my ass off while simultaneously weeping for not skipping work.
All kidding aside I'm really happy you guys had such a epic day of fishing and yes, catching!
You also have a lot off talent as a writer,
John Gierach has nothing on you as a comedy fly fishing scribe.
Thanks for the great write-up.
Fred

holtad

WFF Supporter
Love the post @dustinchromers !!

I've experienced The CLAW hand after furious stripping for a full day in cold weather too. Makes going back to work @ a keyboard a real pain in the ass. I finally had to move to the two handed stripping technique or even just switch hands for a while to get some respite. Helps a little... and on a day like yours (with so many takes you don't stress about missing a few) its fun to work on strip-setting with the off hand.

This thread is amazing

Nick Clayton

WFF Supporter
I’m guessing that the squimp fly that you are talking about is not the same as this squimp:

https://www.discountflies.com/product/W-SQMP.html

Want to post a picture?

Mark Mercer made a SBS for his original version here

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/threads/the-new-rabbit-cutthroat-squimp-sbs.85663/

I've tied them a million different ways and lately have really dug using a dubbing brush for a "collar" behind the eye.

Here's a well chewed one from the other day.

P1240063-1-01.jpeg

Last edited:

wadin' boot

Donny, you're out of your element...
WFF Supporter
Bump.....

Just loving the banter here, LMAO on the claw hands and the "little" details about socks and fashion

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts