Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Some helpful tips for the new fishers.

Tags
new tips
773 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  TJ Fisher 
#1 ·
I've only recently began my journey to fly fishing PS and have found a lot of information on here. I'm also new to fly fishing in general receiving my first fly rod on January 4th of this year. So below is some thing that have been a huge help to me.

Practice, practice, practice. I practiced casting every day in the back yard before even thinking about hitting any body of water.

Once your comfortable and are ready to try some live practicing, scout scout and scout some more. Walk the beach, watch the tides, check locations at different times of the day and don't limit yourself to 1 or 2 spots. Be prepared to put some miles on your vehicle (currently at 400 miles just scouting areas in the few weeks I've been fish)

Don't expect to walk onto a beach and catch fish.

Keep logs of locations times tides and weather even if your just scouting. This becomes extremely useful the more you get out there.

Don't expect others to do the work for you. Part of the enjoyment is the journey in putting all of thus together.

Read all you can on the different species you intend to fish for! The more you know the easier it becomes.

And lastly, there are many experienced fly fishermen on this site. Don't be afraid to ask a question or seek guidance on technique, presentation ECT. Everyone here has been amazing in helping in my journey thus far.

Tight lines!

Tim

See less See more
#2 ·
Two very important tips to add....

1. Be sure to get a Hello Kitty sticker for your stripping basket. Without one you're basically just wasting your time out there.

2. If you take a ferry over to the other side of the sound to fish, do NOT, I repeat do NOT cross paths with the KBG. Those cats are just mean!

#5 · (Edited)
Practicing fly fishing on a lawn is like practicing swimming on a tennis court.

A day spent hooking and losing a sculpin is still more fun than a day of either playing or watching sportball played on a lawn.

The only way that lawn care could be actually fun is if a ride-on mower race was held between Itchy Dog, Old Man Jim, Bhudda, Scoones, IveofIone, and maybe a wildcard like Nick Clayton (or just a straight up round-robin of characters from WFF) particularly if it involved random distractions like propane leveraged evictions of gopher caves while mowing/racing, or maybe a crowd of bickering Spey nuts throwing turbo slushies, or Stonefish with a pink salmon catapult hucking rotten carcasses at the racers, or all of the above. I would pay to see that. Like the slow-mo of the slushy colliding with the racer, or the salmon carcass basically disintegrating as it hit its target while the gopher cave blew in the background, tilting the mower up so the blades are exposed...sort of like a really awesome version of Mad Max but instead of a post-apocalyptic desert it is on some posh golf links and with lawn vehicles that were super tricked out... Old Man Jim taunting Itchy with the repeated phrase "Kiss my Guns" while flexing his biceps in a wife beater singlet with the WFF logo spraypainted on it, Buddha's ride with a nine-headed bong trailing vapors as he hauled mulchmaking ass... scoones looking like Nux, now and then sucking down some Sta-bil

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

#6 ·
Practicing fly fishing on a lawn is like practicing swimming on a tennis court.

A day spent hooking and losing a sculpin is still more fun than a day of either playing or watching sportball played on a lawn.

The only way that lawn care could be actually fun is if a ride-on mower race was held between Itchy Dog, Old Man Jim, Bhudda, Scoones, IveofIone, and maybe a wildcard like Nick Clayton (or just a straight up round-robin of characters from WFF) particularly if it involved random distractions like propane leveraged evictions of gopher caves while mowing/racing, or maybe a crowd of Spey nuts throwing slushies, or Stonefish with a pink salmon catapult hucking rotten carcasses at the racers, or all of the above. I would pay to see that. Like the slow-mo of the slushy colliding with the racer, or the salmon carcass basically disintegrating as it hit its target while the gopher cave blew in the background, tilting the mower up so the blades are exposed...sort of like a really awesome version of Mad Max but instead of a post-apocalyptic desert it is on some posh golf links
I'm in with some adult beverages to keep it interesting. The thought of zombie fish flying thru the air, and the smell afterwards could be very humorous.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.