Citrus Packing Crate Art

Robert Engleheart

Robert
WFF Supporter
48C14025-62CE-4187-ACA9-F41580D256B2.jpeg

In the 1940-50’s the California citrus industry used to label their packing crates with graphic art that denoted the brand. Wife and I and another couple were browsing a local junk/antique shop while waiting for a restaurant to open for dinner and I came across this. Only one framed and matted, they were so nice it was hard to believe they were original. I think I’m going to go back and buy the rest, about 12 each unframed.

IEFBR14

Trout Bum
I do not have a photo of it, but there is a Life Pears crate label that features a dude fly fishing.
It is so choice.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
I love that stuff...I used to work for the Oregon History Museum...Seufert Wheels of Fortune...incredible art...

These are indeed magnificent parts of history. Should be collected, well-preserved, and showcased for all the new generations to see.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
may I suggest something?...if you are so fortunate as to find such period labels in reasonable condition...de acidify them... The acids in papers of that time will turn a lovely orange over time...
Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 11.52.29 AM.png

"...de acidify them... The acids in papers of that time will turn a lovely orange over time..."

Hmm, didn't know about that. Will keep that in mind.

Skip Enge

Uck Uck Uck, bitches
"...de acidify them... The acids in papers of that time will turn a lovely orange over time..."

Hmm, didn't know about that. Will keep that in mind.
I am a veteran of museum culture...without touting some elite knowledge...I was the shit when it came to that...look me up you won't find much...I got paid for my expertise...still bothers me...but i will say in the early 2000's we met at a retiring Directors get together at the heathman on broadway in Portland Oregon...I was late , I poked my head in and I got a standing ovationfrom I don't know 200 peers ...I cried...I felt like what I did mattered for over 20 years...That my friends is something i will never forget. But there won't be a record of it anywhere...That is what qa non profit servant is...no hero worship just an instance of acceptance...I had that moment.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts