Hatching More Salmon to Feed Starving Puget Sound Orcas

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout

Greg Smith

Endangered Orcas Are Starving. Should We Start Feeding Them?

Saw this article this morning. Thoughts?

My reaction was that the idea is pretty absurd, and that the understanding of salmon hatchery programs and how well they work by the people quoted/contributing in this article was excessively naive. Maybe I'm off base, but would like to here people's thoughts.
Maybe we can teach them to jump into the commercial net pens and eat atlantics!

Greg

plecoptera419

Unfortunately, feeding them is only part of the issue. Not only do they not have enough food, their food is poisonous. There are so many PCB's and who knows what else accumulated in an adult females body that their milk is literally poisoning their young when they nurse. Um... Hello... we have a major pollution problem to deal with here.

I don't think our hatcheries the way they are being run currently are up to the task. They may be other options to that dilemma but I going to put that question to the Brain Trust in a separate thread so as not to hijack this one.

FinLuver

Unfortunately, feeding them is only part of the issue. Not only do they not have enough food, their food is poisonous. There are so many PCB's and who knows what else accumulated in an adult females body that their milk is literally poisoning their young when they nurse. Um... Hello... we have a major pollution problem to deal with here.

I don't think our hatcheries the way they are being run currently are up to the task. They may be other options to that dilemma but I going to put that question to the Brain Trust in a separate thread so as not to hijack this one.
"Orca Junkies in the South Sound"
Might make for a great environmental piece in the Sunday paper.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts