Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Belize recommendations

Tags
belize
722 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Hans Vieser 
#1 ·
The lady friend scoped out some super cheap tickets to Belize in November. We're going to go for 5 days and nights. We're definitely going to fly fish, but this isn't going to be the type of trip where we fly fish all day for 5 straight days, as she's a novice. We want to snorkel, swim, hike, relax, etc, as well.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a resort or lodge that is pretty well balanced for fishing and other activities, and is also somewhat affordable?

#7 ·
I vouch for Sea Dreams. The proprietor, Haywood Curry, is a great guy who started a small school on the island to teach the youngsters how to become guides and earn good livings for Belize. If you get a chance, they are always in need of spare fly tying supplies for school. His hotel is a great place to stay as well right next to the 'The Split'. Haywood is a wealth of knowledge and will set you in the right direction for fish or other fun.

Ken Coc is the guide you are thinking of. Fantastic guide!

Not to mention, Caye Caulker hits all of your non-fishing objectives for the lady friend.

#3 ·
the best snorkeling/diving/fishing is unfortunately (or not) is furthest away... i.e. lighthouse reef /glovers reef and around turneffe in places where one typically has few choices but to stay @ a relatively pricey lodge given the tiny amount of time you have to play with .... caye caulker is forgettable when it comes to snorkeling or fishing, but as Salmo says you can hire a guide/skiff and go elsewhere...

#6 ·
Tobacco Caye was pretty cool, although it has been 15 years since I visited. Basic cabins at the time with no AC, although they did have fans. Affordable, and great snorkeling since it sat right on the barrier reef, and next to a deep water channel to the open water. Lots of cuda and little snapper around the caye and schools of Tarpon that we snorkeled with in the channel. Turtles and manatees, Belikin's and Chonch fritters. And a simple boat ride from Dangriga.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.