Organizing

NukeLDO

Tying desk build is coming along though slowly due to my work schedule.
Inlays done and sanded down to 120 grit, wiped down with mineral oil to get a sense of how it'll look.
Still a few cracks and voids to spot fill with epoxy and resand down to 400 grit before applying final finish.
Legs to choose, and a decision to make on whether to put uprights and shelf on it.
1574217852673.png

mr. bad example

Tying desk build is coming along though slowly due to my work schedule.
Inlays done and sanded down to 120 grit, wiped down with mineral oil to get a sense of how it'll look.
Still a few cracks and voids to spot fill with epoxy and resand down to 400 grit before applying final finish.
Legs to choose, and a decision to make on whether to put uprights and shelf on it.
View attachment 217927
very nice, I've been playing around with epoxy lately and failing every way possible ... endless bubble issues for one thing... what kind of heat gun or torch are you using ?and type of resin ?

NukeLDO

I use a butane torch just waved over the surface, and I use the 1:1 epoxy from TotalBoat. Before any resin pour you should seal the edges of the wood with two thin coats of the resin you're going to use. I use a paint brush and wait for it to cure between coats.

jasmillo

I am that the start of putting together a more organized fly tying area. Prior to this I have tied on card tables, an old desk I pulled from the basement, etc., usually just storing materials in unorganized piles in plastic bins on the floor. Now that I work from home a few days a week, often taking video calls from my home office/fly tying room, I thought I would try and make the space more “presentable” and less hoarder like!

Here is the start. I wish I had the time and more importantly the skill set, to build something like @NukeLDO is pulling together. Beautiful work! Alas, I decided to settle for something fairly cheap but presentable. Unfortunately, I meant a stroll through IKEA. I think it will work though. Still need to get a few small items (thread holder and maybe a tool caddy), and figure out what materials are best left in the closet versus on the shelves out in the room.

17804CA5-34FF-43FC-90AF-45BB149B0072.jpeg

8E0CC3DB-D6E5-4FD9-A678-F73486D824E5.jpeg

Maybe I’ll add a little artwork too. I’ve been playing around with some of the wildlife photos my wife takes on the Prisma app. Trying to turn some into cool pics I can get printed on reusable grocery bags and the like as an x-mas presents for her. Tried it out on a few crappy phone fish photos too. I liked it. Turned them into photos that might fit well into a fly tying area....

6417FF91-07B9-4057-AE2D-698961A63892.jpeg

0C98F53B-655E-4E7A-8D52-E7B90DBBF6AE.jpeg

3D60CC36-9455-4813-BC0B-7AD7B650166D.jpeg

34691FA2-1FE0-4709-863B-65AE2EA03720.jpeg

If I remember, I’ll follow up when I pull this all together....

NukeLDO

Love the way you played with those pics!
And as far as skill in building my table....it's amazing what you can learn from youtube these days. That and a little practice on some scrap lumber before sawing into a somewhat pricey piece of live edge lumber, and anyone can do it. But IKEA is a whole lot simpler and less time consuming!

Latest posts