Medalist find and help needed

jersey

livin' the dream
IMG_0466.JPG
Found these today at an antique shop. Smokin deal too... 1494 and 1494 1/2

Is there anyone who sells the reversible drag plates any more? These are RHW and I prefer lefty. The drag plates are not reversible on these reels.

He also had an absolute mint 8 1/2 foot Wonderod. Cork looked brand new, but $95 was too steep.

Thanks in advance

para_adams

I've reversed Medalists like those by flipping the drag plate over. The drag works fine for LHW, but the click is a little louder when reeling in than outgoing. Not ideal but very fishable.

jersey

livin' the dream
The drag plates on both reels are only recessed on one side. The central bearing with two screws will not seat properly.

Can you post pics of the drag plates? Not sure I understand how that would work with indents on just one side of the plate.

You could also considering swapping out drag plates from other Medalists with your own stock or someone else's (know any left handed fisher-people?) or send Dan at One Pfoot an email to ask if he has some of the hard plastic or aluminum(?) plates. They're like $30/ea but both sides have 8 indents for smooth operation either way. Then you don't have to flip anything once that plate is installed if you want to switch back.

https://onepfoot.com/

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I've reversed Medalists like those by flipping the drag plate over. The drag works fine for LHW, but the click is a little louder when reeling in than outgoing. Not ideal but very fishable.
Some drags were reversible, some weren't. It may depend on when and where they were produced. I still have a ton of them and know some could only be used in RHW because screws wouldn't seat.

Latest posts