Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

SRC swap

Swap 
Tags
src swap
3K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  Clint F 
#1 · (Edited)
title says it all... Sea Run Cutthroat swap. I am going to run this the same way as the current resident coho swap I am wrapping up now as it was the most enjoyable swap I have handled yet to date. so 11 tiers total. that's 10 flies, a nice manageable number. once the swap is full I will start a message with everyone involved and get my address to you guys. once the message is started feel free to talk about materials, patterns, share pictures as you go. even share a report or 2 pertaining to what the flies are intended for. it makes for a great interactive swap I have found. due date will be 28FEB18 let me know if you want in and what you are tying.

1. Clint F-
2.Philonius-
3.Eyejuggler-
4.Kfish-
5.Chris Stiemert-
6.thatguyryry
7.scudley do right
8.vandelay industries
9.seattlefarq
10.Max P- diddle your skittle
11.Ron McNeal-Jeffrey Delia glow in the dark white ghost

#10 ·
middle of page 3. I messed up and it wasn't marked as a swap when I started it. due to the participation levels and over all awesome experience I will probably keep rolling a saltwater, salmon, or steelhead swap monthly so keep an eye out. they will be marked and swap will most likely coralate to the up coming season. example... march thinking another resident coho swap, no ideas on april yet maybe vote on that one, may will probably be a summer steelhead swap. june adult saltwater salmon.

#13 ·
[Not answering for Clint F] But a recent "observation", that pertains to your question, would suggest the answer to be...NO.
"Ya have to participate, in order to be "included""...seemed to be the consensus. ;)
Fair enough, I get being tight-lipped about fishing locations, I don't quite get being hush-hush about flies... Esp given i'm sure half of what got tied for this swap has SBS guides on this forum anyway. I just like to see the variety of ties that this community comes up with.

Anyway, it's up to you guys and I'll try to keep my eyes open to jump on then next swap.

:)

#15 ·
EXACTLY ^^^...!! :)
So your contention is that guys want to keep their unique patterns to themselves? I guess I don't understand the point unless you were tying commercially... Like me having your exact flavor of a squimp/flatwing/chartruse & pink clouser/ keta rose/ surf candy/ sculpin / etc... is going to impact your fishing somehow?

But again, i'll just have to jump into the next swap to see what all the magic sauce is all about :)

#16 ·
Swap's ended. Very well-run; neat ties from all participants and submitted on time. I think one of the participants has committed to post photos, but not sure if they'll be "public" or "just for participants" (which is beyond my comprehension). I don't have a good camera for doing fly "portraits," so, just to give you an idea of what was tied, here's the group I received:
Artificial fly Insect Arthropod Pollinator Organism

#17 · (Edited)
Great overview, Ron McNeal!
I usually try to do a portrait run of all the flies, here is my offering, please PM me if your fly has no name and I will add it!
Bonus points for any personal, historical, anecdotal information about your pattern. Just PM me all you want to say and it shall be done.

*I edited a couple of patterns with available historical info, if you don't want or have additional info, please let me know!
:)
Thank you all for an amazing swap, all solid products and a genuine and respectful banter!

(I am not doing the Blackmouth Swap, too busy tying for Bass, Panfish and Musky :) )

Keta Rose variation with Tungsten bead - KFish

"Diddle your skittle" - Max P

Philonius

Vandelay Industries

Jeff Delias White Ghost - Ron McNeal

ed: "
"This pattern was created by my brother Russell
Delia and myself after many years of fishing the Puget Sound estuaries for returning
Salmon of all species and Sea-run Cutthroat Trout. It can be tied in many colors
using Lite-Brite dubbing. This fly has caught King, Silver, Chum, and Sockeye Salmon,
Steelhead, Perch, Flounder and is my second favorite fly for Sea-run Cutthroat Trout.
This pattern has caught more salmon in the last 20 years than any other pattern
I have used in the Puget Sound area."
...Jeffrey Delia"

Chris Steimert

Shrimply Pibbles - SeattleFarq

ClintF

ed: "Al Knudson developed the pattern for steelhead on the Umpqua River in Oregon and brought it back with him when he returned to Everett in the 1930s and it quickly became a favorite of sea-run cutthroat anglers on the Stillaguamish River. He called it the Yellow Spider and it was originally tied with yellow chenille and rather full (sometimes using more than one mallard flank feather) hackle. Sometimes he would wrap a stiff grizzly hackle behind the mallard flank to prop it up and away from the hook shank (this, by the way, doesn't work as the fibers of the mallard flank work down and between the stiffer grizzly hackle fibers).

Today, the Knudson Spider has become more of a style of fly than an individual pattern and is tied in many colors and a wide variety of waterfowl flank feathers for hackle. I usually omit the mallard flank tail which Al used and sometimes add a tinsel rib. One of the most interesting variants of the Knudson Spider is Mike Kinney's Reverse Spider in which the hackle is reversed and tied in pointing out over the eye of the hook, giving the hackle much more scope for movement and an extremely seductive action." - Preston Singletary (from an older post describing the pattern.)

Scudley do Right
ed:"A cool variation of the Skagit Minnow pattern for Sea Run Cutthroat originally designed by Ken McLeod in the 1950's."

Thatguyryry
ed:" Very nice baitfish/fry pattern!"

Alien Bead Fry - Eyejuggler.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.