A very, very rare Favorite

para_adams

I came across a very, very rare Granger Favorite last month and it is on its way back from restoration by Scott Whitman (Longmont, CO). This Favorite is possibly one of the rarest Granger Favorites ever made, and certainly still in existence. Scott only knows of 4 or 5 others in existence. I'll take photos and post them once the rod arrives later this week, but before I do anyone want to take a guess at what rod this is and when it was made?

para_adams

This taper (think "rod length") was relatively rare, probably was less than 10% of production.
The Favorite "grade" while not the rarest wrap style, was also somewhat rare.
Finally, the really cool part...this exact taper ended in this year, and the grade (Favorite) started that year, so its the only year the two converged.

Dammit, I'm reading this on the train to work, and Mike's book is on the bookshelf at home, so I can't follow up on your clues. Pics to follow, I hope!

And congratulations, any Favorite is a treasure. I have 3 of its predecessors, i.e., the "Goodwin" rod, with my favorite, ahem, being the 9043.

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth

para_adams

Dammit, I'm reading this on the train to work, and Mike's book is on the bookshelf at home, so I can't follow up on your clues. Pics to follow, I hope!

And congratulations, any Favorite is a treasure. I have 3 of its predecessors, i.e., the "Goodwin" rod, with my favorite, ahem, being the 9043.

Thanks for sharing,
Kenneth
Kenneth,

3 The Goodwin Rods! That's very cool. In that case you might have its predecessor twin (another hint).

Cliff

That's the holy grail to me. I've been searching for an 8ft Favorite for quite a while. Every time I see one it's just been sold or it's way too expensive. Anyway, beautiful rod!

Cliff

racermo

Congratulations - Absolutely gorgeous rod! I'll trade you straight across for my 9050 Favorite. Great deal and you get the additional 18"" for free! :D

Seriously though the short Grangers and Phillipsons are hard to come by and outstanding rods.

Latest posts