mini mag cutthroat oar blades

Hatty

Who uses the cutthroat oar blades? This in comparison to a standard blade. Boat is 10 foot pontoon. Looking to upgrade 7 foot aluminum oars that comes with an Outcast PAC 1000. Floating in rivers. Looks like an issue would be that there is an upside down oar if you are not paying attention. Please advise.

Last edited:
I don't see it being a big deal. Even if it's upside down...you start getting after it and you'll have enough blade in the water to bite. Doesn't take a whole lot of propulsion for a 10' pontoon to ferry back off an obstacle.

Hatty

I ask because there is a nice price on 7.5 footers. Closeout price. Are they closing them out because they are inferior blades and they are not selling them like they hoped?

Hatty

That Nice Price was for a single 7.5 foot 2 piece oar only. So now I am looking at the Sawyer small stealth oars. Thinking of going to 8 footers, since that is an option with a two piece oar.

My concern with them would be the spoon shaped blade. What is the consensus on those? Seems like they would be like a turbocharger as long as they are facing the right direction,otherwise, are you giving up a lot of power?

I feel like I would have to use oarrights if I went with them. And is an 8 foot oar TOO much for my 10' pontoon? What say you all?

Rule of thumb is oars should be 1-1/2 times the distance between oarlocks. For my 10’ Scaddens the 7-1/2’ mini mags are nice, not sure I would like 8’ but never tried them.
The Sawyers are almost $50 more each than the NRS sale price, plus free shipping. If you’re going with Sawyer just for the extra length, I don’t think you need it.

Hatty

But NRS only has one oar of what I want.....

Seems like a great oar is worth whatever it costs. It might be, if a little is good, a little more ought to be great.

What is the distance between your oarlocks, Robert? I am measuring 58" betwixt on my boat.

But NRS only has one oar of what I want.....

Seems like a great oar is worth whatever it costs. It might be, if a little is good, a little more ought to be great.

What is the distance between your oarlocks, Robert? I am measuring 58" betwixt on my boat.
Can’t measure right now but I think they are 58” also. Only one in stock; that sucks?

Hatty

I have found other online sources of mini-mags 7.5 feet 2 piece that are seemingly in stock for 150$, which puts Sawyer SSTs in direct competition. But they do not answer the phone or respond to emails over last 24 hours. That is why I am especially curious about others experience with their spooned blade.

N-forker

I run the Cuthtroat blades on my full sized raft, with standard sized oars (9' Total oar length). I havn't noticed a considerable difference compared to the traditional Magnum Cataract Blades, I purchased these strictly on the fact that they "Look really cool".... Yes, they do work when up-side-down, but I do think when oriented correctly, they will give me a little bit better purchase on the water when it is really shallow and I'm scraping the blade across the bottom.

Hatty

Wound up getting the standard symmetrical blades on 7.5' length mini-mags. Very nice. Large improvement over the 7' stock oar. Trying to index the handles for blade alignment. Couple of nails driven underneath the foam works fine. Never miss a stroke.

Latest posts