Fly Fishing Travel Agencies

I am in the process of deciding on going on a fly fishing trip to Christmas Island next year. I was wondering if any of you could suggest a fly fishing travel agency that would assist in my travel plans. I know that there are a few out there but I am looking for someone who could provide information that has directly worked with an agency and what your experience was like.
Thank you in advance for your information.

Jerry Daschofsky

Will Fish for Cinnamon Rolls and Coffee.
WFF Supporter
I am in the process of deciding on going on a fly fishing trip to Christmas Island next year. I was wondering if any of you could suggest a fly fishing travel agency that would assist in my travel plans. I know that there are a few out there but I am looking for someone who could provide information that has directly worked with an agency and what your experience was like.
Thank you in advance for your information.
You should try a fly shop. I do believe @Anil at Puget Sound Fly Company does trips.

chief

We are not a fly fishing specific travel agency, but my company sells fishing travel along with regular leisure travel and a lot of other things. We book with the Villages. I have been to Christmas Island over 10 times and would be happy to answer your questions. Feel free to send me a PM.

walove

Yellow dog, out of Bozeman. I’ve never done a trip but knew a few employees and they were good peoples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anil

We use Flywater travel for many of our trips. They have always treated our customers exceptionally well. Yellowdog and Frontiers have excellent reputations as well.
We are hosting another trip to Xmas 2019 (we go every Jan and I just returned from this year's trip) if you are interested in more info.

Freestone

WFF Supporter
I have never been on a saltwater destination trip and find myself wondering why one would need to use a travel agency to book the fishing trip. Do these high-end lodges only book trips through agencies and not directly with anglers? Have the travel agencies booked out and hold all the prime dates? I am genuinely curious as someday I'd like to take such a trip. I had hoped to a few years ago and exchanged emails directly with a few smaller lodges but health problems got in the way of the trip. So, what advantages are there with using a fishing travel agency? I never use one for normal travel but as lots of people do it for destination fishing travel I figure there must be an advantage.

chief

I have never been on a saltwater destination trip and find myself wondering why one would need to use a travel agency to book the fishing trip. Do these high-end lodges only book trips through agencies and not directly with anglers? Have the travel agencies booked out and hold all the prime dates? I am genuinely curious as someday I'd like to take such a trip. I had hoped to a few years ago and exchanged emails directly with a few smaller lodges but health problems got in the way of the trip. So, what advantages are there with using a fishing travel agency? I never use one for normal travel but as lots of people do it for destination fishing travel I figure there must be an advantage.

Full disclosure, one of the divisions of my company is a travel agency. I believe that there is a common misconception out there that using a travel agency is more expensive than doing all the work yourself. In general that is false. Depending on the type of vacation you are planning, a travel agent can add a lot of value and create a better experience for you, for the same cost or lower than doing it yourself. They still have access to tools and suppliers that individuals don't.

The reason most people use a fishing travel agency, or a travel agency in general, is to gain access to their expertise and make sure that they get the most value for the hard earned money they are spending on the trip. Or worse yet, book with a disreputable lodge/outfitter and waste that money on a horrible experience. In most cases, someone on the agency team has actually visited the lodges they are selling and knows the operation. So the agency can help you match a destination to the experience you are looking for, help you decide which lodge/camp environment meets your style and budget, the best time of year for your target species, provide tackle recommendations and packing lists, make suggestions of pre/post trip add-ons, etc. while taking care of all the logistical details on your behalf. Typically you receive all these services from the agency for the same price as you would pay going directly to the lodge, so really there is no reason not to use them.

Most lodges would love to take a direct booking. They make more money. And, outside of hosted trips, I don't think the agencies are able to hold prime dates. I think people use them for the reasons mentioned above.

nwtroutguy

The Tug Is The Drug

When I went to Argentina, I first tried a friend that stays at the same place every year for a month. The owner turned it over and then emails were not returned etc. I then tried one off the internet and she tried to put my wife and I up in an Estancia in a bedroom. I said forget it.

My wife asked why don't you try Yellow Dog. I did, the price was not any different and it was a fantastic experience. They did everything for my wife and I and really wanted to make sure we were happy. I sent the company kudos and the owner sent me some flyfishing videos, hats and swag.

I could not say about other companies, but my experience with YD has been top notch and have another trip planned with them.

Steve Saville

WFF Supporter
I've been on several hosted trips to Mexico; one with Anil and I tried to get in on this year's Christmas Island trip but the trips fill up really quick. I got an e-mail from Red's late last fall and have booked that trip. I booked my flights last November and am glad I did. At six months out, there were only six seats available on the airplane to Christmas Island. It cost a bit more than the fare is now but I would have died if I couldn't get on a plane. There's only one per week, down and back. Red's have several this spring; all full including my trip. The point here is if you want to go with a group, get in early or you'll miss out. My trip is in late spring this year so I have nothing to report as yet other than that the written materials sent by Red's is very good. Next month the groups meet at their shop to discuss the trips and to pass on tips and more information and perhaps some casting practice.

Support WFF | Remove the Ads

Support WFF by upgrading your account. Site supporters benefits include no ads and access to some additional features, few now, more in the works. Info

Latest posts