Tying vise trash collectors

Anyone have one of those little mesh trash collector things that mount to your vise stem? If so, how do you like it? Since I tie in the living room I'm always looking for ways to stay semi clean, and lately have looked at a few of these things. I'm a bit hesitant to buy one as I am always reminded of a mesh stripping basket that never seems to work terribly well, so I'm just wondering if anyone has any first hand experience.

Ultimately I really want to get one of those Ty Wheel systems but at a 150 bucks it'll probably have to wait a while.

AdrianM

I'm new here
Yikes. There is a couple in The fly tying class I’m in, and they bought some magnetic ones off of flea bay. Looks pretty nice. $12. Might have to pull the trigger. The ty wheel looks pretty sweet too. I bought an oasis bench I’m rather fond of. Just to collect my garbage at this point.

FinLuver

Nick
I found the ones mounted to the stem of the vise to be a PITA and always in the way.
So, I took a squared, thread U-Bolt, some washers and nuts and attached it to the portable part of my tying desk (there was an empty hole, so I filled it.)

Last edited:
Nick
I found the ones mounted to the stem of the vise to be a PITA and always in the way.
So, I took a squared, thread U-Bolt, some washers and nuts and attached it to the portable part of my tying desk (there was an empty hole, so I filled it.)

Thanks Fin. That's exactly the kind of thing I was curious about. Always wondered how in the way it would be, and how effective they really are.

FinLuver

Thanks Fin. That's exactly the kind of thing I was curious about. Always wondered how in the way it would be, and how effective they really are.
I'll take a pic of how I made the modification; it's nothing fancy.
Tied for many years with a paper bag with rolled edges, tucked between my feet...just wipe off the waste into the bag. Kept a lot of feathers and fur from hittin' the floor.

Latest posts