Tying vise trash collectors

Buzzy

Doesn't anybody use the floor.... ?

:)
The floor? Inadvertently (but probably far too often)! Mostly I keep scraps on the tying table till there's enough to get in the way, then I pluck it up and dump it in my garbage can kept beneath my table. Yes, I have marabou follow me down the hall and there's no doubt a bit of glitter here and there.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I used to have a cat, 18 years she lived.
Good cat.....with a penchant for marabou....I found it in the catbox more than once.

Been using an old drawer box a cabinet maker gave me. Fits my tying bench, so just lift the bench out, dump the drawer, good to go.
Could never make anything else effective..,,

Bimini15

I use two plastic containers, a small one for items that get pinch-trimmed and a bigger one that I put directly under the hook for deer hair work and such. Both get dumped into a big trash can by the aide of the bench.
It is not perfect, but nothing is.

FinLuver

I use a plastic grocery bag secured across the front of my pedestal - 1 bag handle loop over the vise stem tensioning knob & the other loop & the desk-side of the bag tucked under the pedestal base. When it's half-full, I toss it & replace with another. For me, this works better than any other container I've ever tried. I also run my cordless vac over the desk surface & the adjacent floor after every tying session.
That was my first model of waste basket...!!

bxboy

Another inexpensive way to go is secure a paper shopping bag with attached handles. Cut off one of the handles, and attach to vise C-clamp as shown in photo. Bag can be scooted out of the way when not in use; is directly under vise and table to collect waste; you can clean bodkins, etc. of head cement, etc. on paper bag; and when it gets worn and ratty you can toss it and add a new bag. IMG_4419.jpg

AdrianM

I'm new here
Another inexpensive way to go is secure a paper shopping bag with attached handles. Cut off one of the handles, and attach to vise C-clamp as shown in photo. Bag can be scooted out of the way when not in use; is directly under vise and table to collect waste; you can clean bodkins, etc. of head cement, etc. on paper bag; and when it gets worn and ratty you can toss it and add a new bag. View attachment 161373
I like this solution

Thanks for all the great solutions everyone! Very cool to see how everyone handles this common situation.

I ended up cutting down a plastic shoe box type container from Walmart. Vise fits right in it and it works out pretty well so far. Think I'll save the money on one of the ones at a fly shop and save up for that Ty Wheel I'm itching for.

@Justin Waters I've seen you and Brita are big fans of this from your blog. I'm curious, was there any sort of adjustment period to get used to working with the Ty Wheel right under your vise, or is it pretty easy to just jump right into it? My only concern with that is I might find it in the way somehow, but I see they make an extension for the vise stem as well to help avoid that. The magnet catching hooks and beads is a big selling point for me for sure.

IMG_20180202_104158289.jpg

Thanks for all the great solutions everyone! Very cool to see how everyone handles this common situation.

I ended up cutting down a plastic shoe box type container from Walmart. Vise fits right in it and it works out pretty well so far. Think I'll save the money on one of the ones at a fly shop and save up for that Ty Wheel I'm itching for.

@Justin Waters I've seen you and Brita are big fans of this from your blog. I'm curious, was there any sort of adjustment period to get used to working with the Ty Wheel right under your vise, or is it pretty easy to just jump right into it? My only concern with that is I might find it in the way somehow, but I see they make an extension for the vise stem as well to help avoid that. The magnet catching hooks and beads is a big selling point for me for sure.

View attachment 161375
No, really the only adjustment was the vise is slightly higher than it was before putting it on. It’s like moving from your desk to the kitchen table. There is a slight height difference, after a few wraps you are used to it.

I bounce back and forth because it’s on one of Brita’s vises, when she’s not tying I use it. I find it easier to tie production flies with it because of the capartments you can really get organized. Once I get used to the fact that my stuff is in a certain spot it’s really quick.

We have a few Renzettis, and HMH vises, and right now Brita has it on a HMH, so I am not as keen on using it. So I will often just set her vise next to mine to use the compartments when I’m trying to tie a lot of flies.

What i'm using is a small plastic freezer bag opened on the desk & 4 pieces of hand paper, each one folded twice & held under the tap for a second & wipe up the mess & put it in the bag as i go! But what i have heard of & plan to do one day is get a cup with a small lip on the top & drill a hole in my desk with a small rebate on the top so the cup will sit in the hole & the top of the cup will be flush with the top of the desk & I just sweep scraps into the cup, then empty the cup into the bin!

Kilchis

Another inexpensive way to go is secure a paper shopping bag with attached handles. Cut off one of the handles, and attach to vise C-clamp as shown in photo. Bag can be scooted out of the way when not in use; is directly under vise and table to collect waste; you can clean bodkins, etc. of head cement, etc. on paper bag; and when it gets worn and ratty you can toss it and add a new bag. View attachment 161373
I heard that Abel will be marketing a tactical paper shopping bag with upcycled fly line handles next year for only $79. Brook and brown trout screen print customization will be available for an extra $129