? on a centerpin build for King's

surfnfish

Tidewater King's - Have swinging covered with Echo and Beulah switch rods. However, swing action dies in the last hour of peak flood tide, and I see some opportunities for using a centerpin float rod, with a jig tied Super Clouser hanging under a float.
So looking for advice on rod components and source.
The kings average 15# to 25#, hit 30, occasionally go 35 or larger. So thinking a #10 to #20 around 11' should do, as when hooked up to the bigger fish we always follow the big fish around tidewater until either brought to the bought or lost.
Would like to keep the cost down on the build, don't need a high end blank, as this is pretty much brute force fishing.
Plan on a simple build, uni color wrap, straight cork handle with rings, will tape over the rings to secure the Okuma Sheffield DR11 reel I picked up.
Recommendations for a blank, guides, and source to order from?

Thanks for any and all!

This isn't my field of expertise, but I would look into MHX (Mudhole) or Rainshadow blanks. St. Croix makes a cp blank as does Lamiglas. Guides are single foot spinning guides. I don't know the sizes, spacing or what kind of ceramic ring would be the best. You might also consider woven graphite, hypalon or eva for your grip material. Another cool thing would be to put a split grip on it.
Tight lines,
Keith

Batson XST1324F looks to be heavy enough and these blanks are beautiful.
I don't know the action on this particular blank but the XST1383F is an excellent centerpin blank for smaller salmon and steelhead. It is slower action than the shorter 10'6" blanks that I use for levelwind applications and bends deeper into the blank.

I landed chrome springers to the mid 20's last season on a Sage X7120 converted to a pin rod. Hooksets were more a problem than landing them. Switching to a Sage Method 9119 conversion this season for that reason. These blanks are more $$ than you're wanting to spend but I would look at 9wt switch rod blanks - plenty of backbone and convenience of a 4-piece blank.

surfnfish

Batson XST1324F looks to be heavy enough and these blanks are beautiful.
I don't know the action on this particular blank but the XST1383F is an excellent centerpin blank for smaller salmon and steelhead. It is slower action than the shorter 10'6" blanks that I use for levelwind applications and bends deeper into the blank.

thanks, the XST 1324 blank looks good

Latest posts