Trout spey decision 2wt vs 3wt

WA-Fly

Narrowed my search down to the redington hydrogen in either their 2wt or 3wt. I like the idea of buying the 2wt but I'm not sure if it'll be good chucking beadhead buggers and the like when I need too. I feel like the 3wt would be more versatile but might suck some if the fun out of smaller fish which a little notorious for catching [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

the_grube

I own the 3wt and recommend it. But your analysis is correct. The tykes aren't as much fun. The 3wt will throw a cone head Dali llama on 10ft of t8 with a short Skagit head... I'll take that over the tyke experience. If I find myself in the kiddie pool it's time to pull out a sh 2 or 3 wt.

On the other hand why choose get one of each...

Just got the 3wt for the beach. Lots of fun although still a little bit of a learning curve. I've noticed that the 'grab' with the 12-18 inchers is not as crisp (probably due to the weight of the shooting head) but once on...the 'fight' is still great...equal to a five weight single hand. My point being....even with the 2 wt...a spey set up like mine, I believe, isn't going to make a creek trout much more fun. I've got an Airflow lite spey on the heavier end of the weight spectrum for a 3 wt. Maybe go with a really light set up?
I can't wait to hit a river with it.
Do they make a glass trout spey?

cmann886

I own the 3wt and recommend it. But your analysis is correct. The tykes aren't as much fun. The 3wt will throw a cone head Dali llama on 10ft of t8 with a short Skagit head... I'll take that over the tyke experience. If I find myself in the kiddie pool it's time to pull out a sh 2 or 3 wt.

On the other hand why choose get one of each...
+1 on this advice... Only I don’t think you need both if you have a SH 2 or 3 wt. and the lightest commando head.

WA-Fly

Okay so it seems like the 3 wt is gonna be good and the 2wt just not enough. What kinda lines would be good for scandi style casting? I was thinking the new rio scandi body

longstick

Once you get your rod I would recommend opst or SA new skagit Lite heads. There are lots of great lines but with these two you can go 50-75 grains less because they designed them float less which means you can use less grains and allow the water to help load the rod more then other brands. I use these lines with 2-4 wts because 50-75 grains less allows me to feel more fish during the fight on the little guys.
This is just my opinion

longstick

If you want to go Scandi the best is the SA Scandi lite. I cut mine to make a head vs the full line. I want mono to allow these light lines to cast with nothing holding it back or hitting the brakes.

WA-Fly

The head length is identical to the rio scandi body, and the body is already a head. I will definitely have an opst head on the rod for casting streamers and stuff, I'll be using the scandi for soft hackles and skating.

cmann886

Okay so it seems like the 3 wt is gonna be good and the 2wt just not enough. What kinda lines would be good for scandi style casting? I was thinking the new rio scandi body

I picked up a couple of Rio Scandi bodies from the Gorge Fly shop for $25 each. One floating and one intermediate.

They have been fantastic so far with the various replacement tips for smaller flies. When I wanted to cast a heavier streamer like a cone headed Dali lama, I just went with 12 lb fluoro-seagaur straight from the scandi body.

I have a 210 grain scandi line that works well for soft hackles and unweighted streamers. I have moved to lighter lines as I have become a more proficient caster.

WA-Fly

As have I, the better I got the less I needed. I like to let the fast action of today's rods shoot the line out there, as opposed to weighing them down and catapulting it

I have both rods and feel myself picking the 2wt quite a bit. I have the Rio Switch Line Chucker on each rod.
There is a big difference in weight of the 2 and 3wt. Redington. The 2wt just feels more like a trout spey.

XP

I picked up a couple of Rio Scandi bodies from the Gorge Fly shop for $25 each. One floating and one intermediate.

They have been fantastic so far with the various replacement tips for smaller flies. When I wanted to cast a heavier streamer like a cone headed Dali lama, I just went with 12 lb fluoro-seagaur straight from the scandi body.

I have a 210 grain scandi line that works well for soft hackles and unweighted streamers. I have moved to lighter lines as I have become a more proficient caster.
I've always been curious about using the intermediate scandi body for steelhead. How do you like it? I hope they are still 25$!

I've always been curious about using the intermediate scandi body for steelhead. How do you like it? I hope they are still 25$!
I use 5wt floating rio scandi body with a redington 5wt dually switch rod for all my surface and skinny water subsurface swing fishing on the Trinity River. It's a great set up and is plenty of muscle for the average size SH in that river which runs about 24-26". Maybe if I tied into a 30"+ fish I would feel differently but hasn't happened on the swing yet.

I also have the intermediate version but have never fished it yet. This year the water has just been too low to really need it.

On a trout spey I'd be inclined to go with the 3wt because it will be more versatile I would think, but if you're fishing mostly soft hackles and small lightly weighted streamers, the 2wt would be a lot more fun.