Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Continuing the Hawaii Theme....

Tags
hawaii
1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Miso Harney 
#1 · (Edited)
There have been a lot of Hawaii themed threads lately. Must be winter in the northwest! Headed to HI as a last second change of plans after the airline that was supposed to take us to a remote Costa Rican National Park crashed twice in 4 months, killed 14 people and was grounded. So, with planned time off and a house sitter booked, the wife and I took a last second trip to Kauai. With rain in the forecast, we headed to one of our favorite beaches on the island, found some seclusion, were dive bombed by albatross, watched ferel pigs rutting around on the hillside behind us, watched breaching humpbacks off shore and of course...I was able to get a little fishing in.

So here it is. A short and sweet HI report. A pretty typical beach day for me...

20-30 minute walk in...
Plant Botany Twig Terrestrial plant Organism

Seclusion...

Water Sky Cloud Beach Coastal and oceanic landforms

In both directions...

Sky Water Water resources Plant Ecoregion

And a few fish...goatfish? Needlefish? Does it matter. Probably 6-7 fish to hand, half were these needle fish looking fellas. The purple guy in the photo and some really small fish about sunfish size that were shaped like papio but not sure what they were. Maybe papio....:). They take a fly so who cares in the end...

Fin Fish Tail Marine biology Ray-finned fish

Road surface Asphalt Beige Flooring Grass

See less See more
#7 ·
It's a great little beach if your looking for a bit of seclusion. Not great for swimming due to the strong current and you have to run the nudist gauntlet to get to the far end where we like to go but worth it. It does not have to be a 20-30 minute walk either. You can get to the first part of the beach in 5 to 10. Fishing always seems to be decent albeit for those little colorful reef fish usually. I've never caught a bone or anything there. I noticed some new no trespassing signs on the land behind the beach this time courtesy of Mr. Zuckerberg....

Nice trip!
We are going to Oahu in March, bringing the 8wt hoping to wet a line in the mornings while the family is sleeping. What do you suggest... Intermediate or floating line?

Lou
I'd probably ask @Mems or @Mingo that question as they are the true experts for HI. As I mentioned in the Palio thread, I put almost no thought or planning into flyfishing when I go to Kauai as it's really a time for the wife and I and not fishing. I literally do it to Kill some time. I was fishing an intermediate (CQS). Might not be the best choice but it worked.

Excellent! I think my wife and I will be making a trip to Kauai this year. First time to that island. Doubt I'll get as lucky fishing as I did on Maui 2 years ago but I'll still bring the fly rod :). Any recommendations on areas to stay in Kauai?
I like the Hanalei Bay/ Princeville area. Rains a bit more up that way but it really is beautiful. Poipu has the big resorts if you are into that kind of thing. We're condo people ourselves. Resort amenities are wasted on us for the most part.

awesome report! We're planning our first trip to Hawaii (Kona) towards the end of this year for my 40th. 3 weeks of fishing and hoping to cross a few fish off my bucket list (Tuna from a kayak being my #1 thing to do and if I can get it on a fly it'll make it even sweeter!)
Ha, well that should be interesting no doubt. Mems is the man to talk to when it comes to the Big Island for sure...

#6 ·
Nice trip!
We are going to Oahu in March, bringing the 8wt hoping to wet a line in the mornings while the family is sleeping. What do you suggest... Intermediate or floating line?

Lou
It has been a few years now, but when I fished Oahu for bones (guided) we did just a walk and wade trip and used exclusively floating 8-weight lines with longish leaders (15-18 feet). I only saw big fish so long leaders to 15 lb tippet made sense as we were fishing in just a breeze. He had stripping baskets that he always used. Didn't land any, but had a blast. One of the spots we fished had a drop-off that might have been better covered with an intermediate line. But everywhere else (lots of places), a floater was fine. Take flies tied on strong hooks as all the bones I saw were very big fish, some double-digit!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.