pedal powered kayaks

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
I hear you, Jim. Over the years, I bought various things to build them for my kayak and SUP boat/dock bumpers, crabpot floats, big pool noodles, PVC pipe, etc. and I never got around to making anything - or at least anything that worked. At the end of last summer, after a near-swim with the SUP and some lashed on pool noodles, it occurred to me that it might just be easier to use the canoe stabilizers! Duh. I'm gonna try it this summer. It might need a little modification like a cam strap or two and some foam to cushioning underneath it but I think it will work.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I had been cutting up an old surfboard blank and laminating it into two smaller blanks for shaping the pontoons. It was a reject blank with flaws that was given to me by a friend who makes surfboards. If I ever get 'em shaped, I can probable get him to glass 'em for me in his shop.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Jim, your post made me think of an easier way to make the pontoons so you can make them thicker and don't need to glass them. Like shaping a board, get that 2" thick pink foam and carve it. Then just stack 2 or 3 layers together and glue them. Then once they are done, to seal them without glassing them, you cover them with bedsheets and glue it on with Titebond and paint if wanted- no glassing needed! Some people are making entire kayaks and SUP's this way. They come out really light and are pretty stiff. There's no reason this construction technique wouldn't work for the pontoons, although it may not be as cool as you cutdown board.

a really basic kayak:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Sawfish-foam-kayak-build-a-funtional-light-wieght-/

a cool fishing kayak that is fairly light:

And, my favorite, a totally awesome fishing SUP/catamaran thing! Similar to the bottom part of the NRS GigBob:
http://www.flycarpin.com/p/diy-standamaran-stand-up-paddleboard.html

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Thanks, Freestone. I could still use my blanks with an alternative (to fiberglass and polyester resin) coating. Still, I would only use a closed cell foam, such as urethane foam to make solid core pontoons. Surf board foam is closed cell urethane and does not act like a sponge if water leaks in through surface damage.
Regular styrofoam is a definite no go for me, since it can get waterlogged from leakage. I have read how some folks have coated regular styrofoam with glue to seal it, which might be OK as long as the coating doesn't get snackles in it from even small impacts. Now I'm thinking that I don't want to hassle with making my own.
I suspect that the inflatable pontoons that Hobie sells might be the easiest, better way for me to go, since I'll be using them on my Tarpon.
I actually like the ones that you have mounted on your canoe. They look convenient and functional. Easy to fix the cross member to canoe rails, and easy to raise and lower the pontoons.

Last edited:

porterHause

Just call me Jon
Not sure this is still of relevance to the OP, but I have a 2014 Native Slayer Propel with all sorts of goodies (fishfinder, mounts, etc) that I've been thinking about sending to a better home. I love the yak, but time is tight, and I do most of my fishing these days out of an 21 ft. Arima. PM me if interested.

Latest posts