NFR A taste of home

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I think the take home message is that scrapple is made from pork waste products, you know, the stuff that isn't suitable for the pet food makers.
Nah, I'm assuming you were a city kid. Old school farm families never let anything go to waste. Outside the intestines and some odds and ends there wasn't much we didn't eat off a cow or pig we raised. Scrapple is pretty much scraps, and not all of them bad, that couldn't be sold or used on its own.

I love scrapple. But I love eating liver, kidney, and by-products. Ate a lot of liverwurst sandwiches over the years.

Add to that having lived as an exchange student in Germany and exploring while there. Blood sausage, certain meats, dishes, etc were all open game. I absolutely LOVE haggis. Whenever I'm in Scotland I have haggis almost every day while I'm there. Either a slice at breakfast, as a driver appetizer, or the main meal. Delicious! Plus add their black pudding to a full breakfast. Delicious!!!

1003161917.jpg

This is a plate of haggis, neeps, and tatties in whisky peppercorn sauce while I was in Stirling, Scotland.

Nah, I'm assuming you were a city kid. Old school farm families never let anything go to waste. Outside the intestines and some odds and ends there wasn't much we didn't eat off a cow or pig we raised. Scrapple is pretty much scraps, and not all of them bad, that couldn't be sold or used on its own.

I love scrapple. But I love eating liver, kidney, and by-products. Ate a lot of liverwurst sandwiches over the years.

Add to that having lived as an exchange student in Germany and exploring while there. Blood sausage, certain meats, dishes, etc were all open game. I absolutely LOVE haggis. Whenever I'm in Scotland I have haggis almost every day while I'm there. Either a slice at breakfast, as a driver appetizer, or the main meal. Delicious! Plus add their black pudding to a full breakfast. Delicious!!!

View attachment 162404
This is a plate of haggis, neeps, and tatties in whisky peppercorn sauce while I was in Stirling, Scotland.
That's hardcore right there sir!

TJ Fisher

Liver and onions! I can't even pay my wife to cook it for me so once every few months I cook it for myself.

Blood sausage is just pure awesomness. I've never had haggis though it looks good! Will have to find a place to give it a try.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Liver and onions! I can't even pay my wife to cook it for me so once every few months I cook it for myself.

Blood sausage is just pure awesomness. I've never had haggis though it looks good! Will have to find a place to give it a try.
You can't legally get real haggis in the US. Sheep lung is illegal to sell or use.

Proper British Bacon in Auburn has legit black and white pudding, haggis, bangers, square sausage, etc. Hell they may even have scrapple. I never look since I'm there to purchase stuff to make a Scottish full breakfast or if I'm buying a haggis for Burns night or just to have Haggis, neeps, and tatties.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
As much as I love Scrapple and TastyCakes, I firmly believe you can’t buy a real sub if you’re more than 100 miles from Philly. There’s a guy here in Vancouver that flies his bread in 3 times a week and the meats are all Boars Head but he puts some jacked up salad dressing on them and ruins the entire thing.

And I miss Grotto’s pizza from Rehoboth Beach. Escape from New York in NW Portland is pretty close though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These days, you can get anything by FedEx including cheese steaks right from Philly. I once had a pizza from Providence FedEx'd. It's not cheap but then again, it's cheaper than a plane ticket! Check your favorite restaurant's website about delivery options or osome of the restaurant food shipping websites. I bet there is some place that ships their scrapple too!

I am lucky as there is a great online option for ordering New England foods (uncooked foods), although I get back there often enough that I usually just bring stuff back.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
Liver and onions on the beach?! :D

My wife has been wanting to visit Scotland. :cool: maybe for our 10 year anniversary
FB_IMG_1462073589443.jpg

No, but I've done fried oysters and corn on the bank.

I took my wife for our 10th anniversary in 2016. Was her first time overseas. Took her to Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland. Was there just over 3 weeks. Heading back in 2019 for a month this time for my 30 year anniversary at UPS. Just doing England, Wales, and Scotland this trip.

jasmillo

I would learn to make it yourself!

I grew up in Connecticut and although pizza has come a long way in the past 20 years, even in some smaller towns out west, I still have not found anything that comes close to what I could get at any number of places back home.

So, I make it myself. Pretty much every Friday...

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
I would learn to make it yourself!

I grew up in Connecticut and although pizza has come a long way in the past 20 years, even in some smaller towns out west, I still have not found anything that comes close to what I could get at any number of places back home.

So, I make it myself. Pretty much every Friday...
After moving here in '83, our new WA friends got sooo tired of hearing us complain about WA pizza and rave about pizza from home. Our neighbor was from Jersey and he had warned us not to bother with WA pizza but we had to try. We tried every supposedly good WA pizza and it was all pretty bad. But our WA born and bred friends staunchly defended WA pies. So, we did a pizza taste test challenge. I flew out pizza from my favorite place in Providence. I polled our friends about their favorite WA pizza and the day of the pizza party, I collected pizzas from all over King and Snohomish counties.

All of the pizzas were ordered slightly underdone and then I finished cooking them at home, just like the pizza from Providence. After one bite of the flown-in Caserta's Pizza, no one wanted any WA pizza, LOL! And, 34 years later, not one of my friends has ever again defended WA pizza! It has come a long way but...

TJ Fisher

Lol that is awesome @Freestone My wife is from Illinois, she swore I was a food snob because I would tell her how good things were on the east coast. Pizza, subs on home made Italian rolls, real cheesesteak that wasn't just heated roast beef. We lived in PA for a year before moving to Washington and now she says I spoiled her because none of the food is as good as it was out east.

I also have family just outside of Rehoboth beach, my last week out east was spent down there fishing for big blues. If you're ever in the area try crabby dicks, it's worth it. :cool:

Lol that is awesome @Freestone My wife is from Illinois, she swore I was a food snob because I would tell her how good things were on the east coast. Pizza, subs on home made Italian rolls, real cheesesteak that wasn't just heated roast beef. We lived in PA for a year before moving to Washington and now she says I spoiled her because none of the food is as good as it was out east.

I also have family just outside of Rehoboth beach, my last week out east was spent down there fishing for big blues. If you're ever in the area try crabby dicks, it's worth it. :cool:
My Grand Parents had places at Pots-Nets and Massey's Landing....small world.

TJ Fisher

@Jerry Daschofsky need a fishing partner? Lol sounds like a great trip! Are you planning on doing any fishing while over you are over there?

@Mark Moore very small world. My great grandparents had a house on the Chesapeake bay on Taylor's Island MD. Traveled all over the area and even though it was a bit of a hall we always made time for Rehoboth. Couldn't beat the bluefish in Indian river inlet, and I remember my grandpa had pictures of huge tide runners (speckled seatrout) from Delaware bay. He always talked about the glory days of those big fish... :)

dld

View attachment 162433
No, but I've done fried oysters and corn on the bank.

I took my wife for our 10th anniversary in 2016. Was her first time overseas. Took her to Wales, England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, and Republic of Ireland. Was there just over 3 weeks. Heading back in 2019 for a month this time for my 30 year anniversary at UPS. Just doing England, Wales, and Scotland this trip.
I spent six months in Chester, on the border of England and Wales. Definitely recommend going there, it is a walled city dating back to Roman times, complete with Roman amphitheater, clay pipe factory ruins, etc.. if you happen to be there for the horse races, they are an event. Prince William used to play polo there.

Hit the Fat Cat for dinner (great duck), then had head over to Harkens for cask ale. You can walk the entire wall, about two miles, after. Walk through Grovner Park, and down to the river Dee.

Latest posts