NFR A taste of home

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
@Jerry Daschofsky need a fishing partner? Lol sounds like a great trip! Are you planning on doing any fishing while over you are over there?
Yes, trying to adjust the trip so I can fish Tayside one day and Speyside another. Have family outside Inverness I want to visit and explore the NC500 some more plus the Orkney Islands and Harris/Lewis. I'm actually trying to partner up with the UK version of Project Healing Waters to take a couple of their wounded fishing. Already budgeting to afford 2 extra rod days per beat. Hell, why not toss in one more LOL. Unfortunately September can be pretty pricey on the prime runs. Outside those 2 planned days, rest will be just to explore with my wife. Have one day in Speyside set to do the whisky trail. Will hire a driver for that one since I won't be able to drive and my wife loves whisky as much as I do.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
I spent six months in Chester, on the border of England and Wales. Definitely recommend going there, it is a walled city dating back to Roman times, complete with Roman amphitheater, clay pipe factory ruins, etc.. if you happen to be there for the horse races, they are an event. Prince William used to play polo there.

Hit the Fat Cat for dinner (great duck), then had head over to Harkens for cask ale. You can walk the entire wall, about two miles, after. Walk through Grovner Park, and down to the river Dee.
That sounds really familiar. I fished Deeside back in 1987. When I lived in Germany I was blessed to do a lot of trips to Wales, England, and lower Scotland. Mostly there to fish. So did minimal sightseeing, well except literally what we stopped by.

I'll have to jot some of that down. We have a list of places we want to head back to, but literally blew through Wales and England last trip just to get to Edinburg.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
After moving here in '83, our new WA friends got sooo tired of hearing us complain about WA pizza and rave about pizza from home. Our neighbor was from Jersey and he had warned us not to bother with WA pizza but we had to try. We tried every supposedly good WA pizza and it was all pretty bad. But our WA born and bred friends staunchly defended WA pies. So, we did a pizza taste test challenge. I flew out pizza from my favorite place in Providence. I polled our friends about their favorite WA pizza and the day of the pizza party, I collected pizzas from all over King and Snohomish counties.

All of the pizzas were ordered slightly underdone and then I finished cooking them at home, just like the pizza from Providence. After one bite of the flown-in Caserta's Pizza, no one wanted any WA pizza, LOL! And, 34 years later, not one of my friends has ever again defended WA pizza! It has come a long way but...
You're so on point it isn't even funny. I found out myself how good the food was other places married to my ex. She worked for Northwest, so flew all over. I'm a food guy anyways, so just went with flow and tried the regional foods without comparing it to others. Especially pizza. Chicago vs easy coast, all good in their own way. The lobster rolls, real bagels with enough actual cream cheese to taste. And yes, Philly cheese steak that I think use ribeye? Just amazing.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
You had to say lobster roll! I've sometimes had them for 3 meals/day! Ask @Bob Triggs - I usually torture him with pics of each one, LOL!

View attachment 162464
Had a customer from Maine who opened a shop called Wicked Good Eats. I was excited because they had the rolls, lobster, and all the other stuff shipped in from Maine. Didn't source any of the food locally. I know, I delivered it. Unfortunately they had to factor shipping costs, so serving size was super small. Tasted spot on, but literally 2 bites and you were done. For same price I always had leftovers or was really full. It was barely a snack. As you can guess people stopped going because they just didn't provide enough for price.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
It was. Understood what they wanted to do, but tried to help then by sourcing cheaper lobster here. Paying $15 for literally a dinner roll with just a little lobster wasn't worth it. I had to try it. When I ordered they asked how many rolls I wanted. I was lost, since one should've been plenty. Just say it this way, couldn't buy it again.

dld

That sounds really familiar. I fished Deeside back in 1987. When I lived in Germany I was blessed to do a lot of trips to Wales, England, and lower Scotland. Mostly there to fish. So did minimal sightseeing, well except literally what we stopped by.

I'll have to jot some of that down. We have a list of places we want to head back to, but literally blew through Wales and England last trip just to get to Edinburg.
If you fished Deeside, you were in/near Chester.

Proviso: I was in Chester in 2011, 2012, three months in each, the Fat Cat may be gone, but I doubt Harkers has moved.

I have a story about going to Edinburgh, the long version is better, but the short version is this:

I'd been working at least sixty hours per week, swapping between 6am-6pm, and 6pm-6am. I finally was able to manage a full weekend off, so I bought first-class train tickets to Edinburgh. I got on the train, and half way up there, my cell went dead, then my laptop went dead--I forgot the chargers for both. Then I got off the train, made a small purchase with my debit card. I went to they get cash, but my card was declined because I went from England to Scotland (what?!). So I walked to the b&b that I had booked...they messed up my booking, and were full. So I'm in a beautiful, historic city on my only full weekend off in three months with no place to stay, no money, no cell, no laptop. I had also left my credit card in Chester.

Jerry Daschofsky

Staff member
@dld I feel your pain. Towards the end of our recent trip we were heading into Cork. Our car was full of bags that were strategically packed. We exclusively stayed at B&B's. We had arrangements to show up at this B&B late, some we had come up from Caherdaniel and went to Midleton for the Jameson distillery tour and deluxe tasting. Had dinner and made it to the B&B. No answer knocking. Of course our cell phones glitched, wouldn't send, so couldn't call. Trying to find a phone to use at 8pm isn't easy, even in a big city like Cork. Ran back to B&B and still no answer. Tried rebooting both phones, still didn't work. Of course tablet only worked on WiFi and couldn't find a connection to try sending them an email. So at 9pm we had to start driving around looking for anything looking like a place to stay. Finally at 10pm we rolled up near the airport and found a room. One of our most expensive nights.

Get up next morning everything was working again. No idea what happened. B&B apologized. They had to run and had forgot to leave a note on door telling us where the key was hidden. It was a highly ranked B&B, so doubt they were lying, plus they were highly apologetic.

Sheer west coast ignorance here, but what makes east coast pizza so amazing? I pretty much love all pizza so maybe I just don't have a very refined pallet but do they use vastly different ingredients? Different cooking methods? I hear all the time about the pizza over there and am always curious

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
Sheer west coast ignorance here, but what makes east coast pizza so amazing? I pretty much love all pizza so maybe I just don't have a very refined pallet but do they use vastly different ingredients? Different cooking methods? I hear all the time about the pizza over there and am always curious
This might have something to do with the history of Italian immigrants coming to America over the last 300 years. They've had more time to create several signature regional styles, concomitant with the westward expansion in general. Today, there is good pizza to be found just about everywhere in America. And some very poor pizza too.

Charles Sullivan

ignoring Rob Allen and Generic
The crust and sauce.

Pizza here is not as good. It just isn't. I did not grow up in the city so the pizza I had was not great either but whenever I visit the in laws in Queens or NJ I make sure to get pizza.

Subs back east are better too especially in the city. Chinese in Queens is great.

Here in the Ham we have solid pho and Thai. The Chinese is awful. Italian is not good. The pizza is of the specialty variety.

I eat put less. The salmon is great. I get outstanding beef locally and the fruit and produce is solid (thanks Mexico).

Everyplace has it's things.

Go sox,
Cds

TJ Fisher

I agree everywhere in the US has something. As for the great state of Washington, the best oysters I've had ever, and I grew up eating Chesapeake bay oysters.

Don't think anything will ever compare to Thrashers boardwalk frenchfries or real maryland crab cakes on the eastern shore. Pulled pork in NC, smoked meats at the many roadside smoke shacks in Tennessee, new England clam chowder in Massachusetts , I prefer union oyster house.... I could go on for a while.

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
Nick, as Charles says, in general, east coast pizza derives its main flavor from the crust and tomato sauce, both of which should be so incredible by themselves that they need no other ingredients vs. west coast pizza which tends to emphasize the mountains of toppings and often features tasteless crust and bland sauce (at least that was my impression 30 years ago).

On good east coast pizzas, thick or thin, the crust is yeasty and as flavorful as the best homemade bread you've ever had. (actually the bakery rolls and bread back east are better too!) The sauce tends to be very rich and tomato-y and there is usually way more of it than out here. In my favorite pizza place, if you order a "plain pizza", you get crust and sauce, that's it and it is totally delicious! If you want cheese on it, you have to order it like any other topping. And in general, the toppings are sparse compared to the west coast as again, it is all about the crust and sauce.

PS. And by back east, I think most of us are referring to the Northeast.

I can’t confirm this but I believe with pizza crust and sub rolls there are two factors. The yeast and relative humidity.

Also, i agree with the many who have speculated it has to do with immigrant populations in those locales. I love good Italian food and have yet to find anything approaching what I’ve had back east.

Same goes for Mediterranean food, my mom lives in Detroit which has the largest Arab
population in North America as well as Greek and Italian and the food there is insane.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: