NFR A taste of home

jamma

Never had those when I had visited Chicago. Is it really a place? I know sometimes they make up things for a show.

Philly cheese steak in Philly is indescribable outside of pure heaven. I know I tried a couple versions in Philly. They were all good. My ex had friends in New Jersey, so I'd make the 2 hour drive to explore some history and eat every time we flew there. Which was often.
I Googled it and no,there was not a restaurant there as the episode described it,although a crab shack acquired the name in 2008 in an attempt to improve business.

jamma

I wouldn't trust this guys taster...he thinks fish all taste the same...;)...it's an ongoing discussion.
Haha.Did I just feel the tires on the bus rolling over me? And this from a guy who has probably blasted his taste buds with coffee(or covfefe)and peppers.Touche!

Skip Enge

Staff member
"or covfefe" see spelled the non existent word correct...smart aleck...I will have you know coffee is a palate cleanser and shows you your bladder works, thus expanding its walnut size(underhand pitch right down the middle) and hot peppers...well never mind...capsaicin must be good for something...like paint stripper, maybe. I've built up a tolerance is all i gotta say about that.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
What place is that? I'd like to try it.

My favorite pizza is a deluxe combo - everything but anchovies and pineapple. All the meat and all the veggies, on thin crust, I gotta' watch my carbs.
Ah, c'mon man...you gotta have some pineapple on top, since it helps digest the other ingredients. Anchovy paste in cooking, yes! but never anchovies on a pizza!
Also, I would not put any green bell pepper on my pizza, and I would use fresh meat without any preservatives if I were making my own.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Being from Connecticut, i feel youz North-easterners missing the goodies from home! I love the The downhome cooking in the Southeast (Tn, where my wife is from) but miss real NY style pizza, whole belly fried clams, and good “grinders” (subs, hogies, heros, whatever ya call em)!

Speaking of pizza, some of the best I have ever consumed were made by Greek descendants, not Italian. Non the less, folks up there understand that in order to make a good pie, you need first a well seasoned coal or gas fired Blodgett or old Vulcan oven, capable of temps up to 900*F! Electric convection ovens are incapable of getting just that right amount of ‘char’ to the crust. Real first press olive oil from the old country. Sauce made with certified San Marzano tomatoes. Real, I mean actual Mozzarella cheese made with whole milk, or better, Goats milk. Dough made fresh, hand spun and pie done 5 minutes after you order it! A good pizza needs NO toppings!!! Maybe a shake of garlic, oregano, and/or parm & some crushed red pepper...dats it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dang! This post reeks of opinion....and really good pizza!

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
TJ, first off, welcome to Washington. Now if you are missing some eastern potato chips, that is just because you have not tried Tim's Cascade Potato Chips. There is nothing better. Word is that he started in Renton with a recipe of thick chips home cooked in peanut oil and he took them to parties or pot luck dinners. It became a cottage industry and then a giant success story. I believe he has sold his business but the chips are made the same. Every store, truck stop or mini mart has them in a multitude of flavors.

The scrapple sounds good. You also need to get to a Mariners game and eat some garlic fries. Amazing
I'm not sure if the chips are now the same as the original recipe. The peanut oil was good. I think they might have switched oils. That would be a change to the downside, IMHO, since I didn't care for the last batch I tried due to the oil having a slight bit of rancid tinge to it. That was back in early 2014. I don't recall checking the "best by" date. Most chips are too salty for me now, anyway. Don't take my word for this. Its been a while since I've eaten any Tim's. They could have changed the recipe. Read the ingredients list on the label.
Lately, I only eat small quantities of organic chips. Have to watch my salt intake.

Last edited:

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Last night I ate out for the first time in nearly two weeks. I ordered a "Salmon Caesar" salad, thinking that it was the healthiest option offered by the establishment. Well, the dressing cancelled out any other healthy benefits. A little too much...a little too sweet...the experience reinforced my decision to fix my own meals as much as possible. Plus, the Romaine, as well as the dressing, wasn't organic.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
Ah, c'mon man...you gotta have some pineapple on top, since it helps digest the other ingredients. Anchovy paste in cooking, yes! but never anchovies on a pizza!
Also, I would not put any green bell pepper on my pizza, and I would use fresh meat without any preservatives if I were making my own.
+1 pineapple
add feta, sundried tomato

My family is from Coatesville, but moved west when my Dad was a kid. I visited 30 years ago or so and can still taste the hoagies. There is a place in Bellevue that makes scrapple, but I believe they only do mail order (http://westcoastscrapple.com). My sister picks up an off-brand at the JBLM PX once in a while. It's not Habbersett, but it does the job. There are a bunch of new cheesesteak shops in Seattle and it's worth calling around to see if any of them sell scrapple.