Another solo trip

Well....did the 3 hr drive to Forks and fished for 7hrs...then 3 hrs back Monday. Figured it'd be pretty quiet the day after the Superbowl and it was. Didn't endanger any fish....not even a grab. Warm weather though....had to shed the jacket.
One interesting thing I noticed was at a section of river I hiked about 400 yards into I noticed a lot of elk tracks in the sand. As I walked up the river a little ways, I noticed what I took to be either a HUGE dog, or maybe a cougar set of tracks too. The dog/cougar tracks became sort of a mess of activity in one area as if it cornered something....the sand and gravel was all churned up. A dog playing tug o war might make the same tracks.
Well...I decided to wade significantly further into the river after seeing all that! It was also raining pretty good at the time, so I had my hood on, but anytime I thought I heard a strange noise over the river, I did a quick look over my shoulder! Wasn't the most relaxing fishing I had of the day! That walk back to road was also a little more exciting than the walk in.
Last month when I was hiking out to another portion of the river, I accidentally ran into what might be a tweaker encampment...no one was around though.
Do any of you guys carry a firearm? I've been trained and growing up in the sticks, I've shot all my life...but the weight of a sidearm doesn't appeal to me. but I also don't think of a fishing rod as being much of a self defense weapon. I like exploring by myself though. Most of my buddies don't have the patience for it.

bk paige

Wishin I was on the Sauk
Dogs will leave claw imprints with the tracks, cougars do not(atleast the feline kind) and if there is elk around there is cougars around. On the Hoh I walked into a elk herd, right smack dab in the center of them, was really cool to see and experience, never happens during hunting season!

bhilton

I have carried while fishing but I think for the most part all it does is play into my own paranoia. All my life I’ve played around in the woods without doing so and the overwhelming majority of regular folks who go to the backcountry do it without weapons. Whether you’re actually safer or not with a firearm is debatable, but I know for me, the feeling of safety isn’t necessarily improved by packing heat.

I always carry a pistol. I’ve needed to show it twice in the woods to discourage trash from trying to rob me- once around Index & once around Forks.

I always carry a pistol. I’ve needed to show it twice in the woods to discourage trash from trying to rob me- once around Index & once around Forks.
All thieves should get a bullet in the hip so others can identify them by their limp. A scarlet letter so to speak. They should also be tattooed along the forehead to identify them. As should rapists and child molesters.

Gyrfalcon2015

Wild Trout forever
I only carry a banjo

Actually, I am not a gun person, but suppose it makes sense in remote areas to carry incase one gets lost/injured and need a noise-maker, or one is starving and used for survival.

I do not consider carrying for human or animals safety, yet. Odd to think, in the wild I do not ponder a gun really, but if I lived in big city, I would consider more and more.

Last edited:
I only carry a banjo

Actually, I am not a gun person, but suppose it makes sense in remote areas to carry incase one gets lost/injured and need a noise-maker, or one is starving and used for survival.

I do not consider carrying for human or animals safety, yet. Odd to think, in the wild I do not ponder a gun really, but if I lived in big city, I would consider more and more.
I carry mine for people. Unless something is really wrong with it, critters rarely bother people. I don’t make a show of it- if we came across each other you’d never know I had it.

That so many of you have spent so much time 'in the woods and riverside' without feeling the need for a sidearm is encouraging. My training is if I 'draw' I am willing to use lethal force....I would have to decide if a rod and some tackle is worth taking a person's life. Protection....easy choice. As I gain more experience I'll be able to make a better choice (and get over being nervous about falling in, getting lost, hurting myself). Right now every bend in the river is an adventure!
Good luck fishing everyone! Thanks for the feedback.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
Trust in your own judgement, but try to know about potential hazards, and remain observant and alert. Even here in WA, I think that when out in the woods, carrying bear spray is a good idea. In unfamiliar territory, sometimes I carry a Garmin gps.
We saw cougar tracks on a sandbar when fishing the N Fork Quinault inside the Park, several years ago.

GSIEGEL

Chances of a cougar or bear being a problem are 1: zillion, even if you spend a lot of time in remote areas.

People on the other hand...? I just wear a Woolrich jacket and an old Stihl hat.