Another solo trip

bhilton

I went with husky for my orange saw but I definitely prefer the Stihl hat. A classic. Thinking about it makes me want to buy another set of romeos.

In my two years up on the Olympic peninsula I saw one bobcat, one bear, a few coyotes, lots of dear, tons of elk and otters everywhere. I camped out on my cot in the open a few times on the Hoh. The most interesting encounter was when an elk herd thrashed through the bushes 20 ft from my camp for what seemed like an hour at 2:00 a.m. When the herd past they started bugling then I hear the sloshing of the water as a straggler calf caught up bugling back to the herd. The call of a barred owl can make your mind imagine some wild critters too.
I never felt the need to carry a gun anywhere (watched too much Mcgiver as a kid) but I don't own one either. I usually have a 10" fillet knife within reaching distance on my pack it's not for protection but nice to know it's there. I do rock the woolrich but substitute Sthil hat for Waters West hat because they're the best fly shop ever. I did see some large k9 tracks on the bank of the north umpqua this week in a place no people had been that had me wondering.

In my two years up on the Olympic peninsula I saw one bobcat, one bear, a few coyotes, lots of dear, tons of elk and otters everywhere. I camped out on my cot in the open a few times on the Hoh. The most interesting encounter was when an elk herd thrashed through the bushes 20 ft from my camp for what seemed like an hour at 2:00 a.m. When the herd past they started bugling then I hear the sloshing of the water as a straggler calf caught up bugling back to the herd. The call of a barred owl can make your mind imagine some wild critters too. I never felt the need to carry a gun anywhere (watched too much Mcgiver as a kid) but I don't own one either. I usually have a 10" fillet knife within reaching distance on my pack it's not for protection but nice to know it's there. I do rock the woolrich but substitute Sthil hat for Waters West hat because they're the best fly shop ever. I did see some large k9 tracks on the bank of the north umpqua this week in a place no people had been that had me wondering.
Hoping to do a little tarp and bag camping this year along the Hoh or Bogie!

This fall my parents and I walked into poachers flat on the Hoh. We were watching salmon spawn in a side channel when I looked over I saw a large Chinook salmon still gasping for air 10 feet from the bank! I looked down and could see where it had been drug up. We couldn't find any prints or sign of what it was that pulled it out.

Latest posts