Deschutes river now deemed navigable

Freestone

Not to be confused with freestoneangler
No more laws rules or fees..... for anything!!!!!!
I agree, Rob, let's get rid of all motor vehicle and traffic laws while we're at it! We'll take down all stop lights! No more lanes - we'll take all the stripes off the roads and highways! Take down all traffic signs - no stop signs, speed limit signs, nothin'! School zones will be a thing of the past, one-ways are now all-ways! It is my right to drive however I want!

So, no more only driving on the right! I want to drive on the left if I feel like it! I want the freedom 3rd world countries enjoy to drive in a crazy mess with traffic coming in all directions with no lanes, no rules!!! No speed limits! Freedom!!! Traffic will be just one joyous disorganized glorious riot of cars and trucks everywhere doing their own thing! No rules; anything goes! It will be free and organic! Orgasimic even! Can you imagine such freedom?!

And speaking of free, no more fees and licensing and screw all these vehicle safety requirements. If I want to drive a car with no headlights, no brakes, bald tires, no horn, no turn signals or brake lights, that's my right! No one should be able to tell me what to do or spend money on stuff I don't want! And I should be able to drive any kind of vehicle I want everywhere! And if I want to drive a 5 mph WWII tank around through downtown Seattle at rush hour, that's my business!

And the tyranny of requiring driver's ed and licenses and age restriction?! Gone! Now 4 year olds can drive! No CDL's if I wanna drive a a semi truck! A tandem rig with 2 trailers? 3? Screw that - I'm gonna make more money and pull 4 or even 5 trailers! I'll go faster by driving on the opposite side of the freeway and making those idiots get out of my way or I'll push them out of the way! And since there are no laws, I won't be responsible for the damage!

Rob, we have motor vehicle and traffic laws for a reason. Same thing with marine laws. Vehicle and vessel traffic laws exist to try to ensure the safe and sane operation of vehicles/vessels with the orderly movement of traffic.

Let's be clear - this Federal Navigable Waterway designation is NOT ABOUT GUIDES!!! It is about marine traffic and safety laws! It is about rules of the road/water, rights of way, vessel safety requirements, what agency has jurisdiction, etc. ONE little tiny law is about 6 packs. But all marine laws do not boil down to or exist because the CG wants to exercise tyranny over poor fishing guides. It is about correcting a mistake and it just happened that an incident with a guide brought the mistake/the incorrect designation to their attention. It would be as if a few miles of freeway never got "officially" added to the federal highway system. So when a trooper writes a ticket, the offender gets it thrown out as noone has jurisdiction because of the original mistake. It is not over-reach or tyranny to fix the mistake and designate that section of the interstate as part of the federal highway system.

This section of the Deschutes should have always been included in the Columbia's designation and the same/applicable Coast Guard vessel traffic laws should have always applied.

Applying these Coast Guard vessel laws simply is about making sure that vessel traffic coming in off the ocean, up the Columbia and into a port or tributary are operating under one set of rules and that boaters do not have to know the rules/laws of each different state, county or city they pass through because for simplification, only Federal vessel traffic rules apply.

Last edited:

KerryS

Ignored Member
Next time I see Rob I expect it to be on King5’s May Day coverage. He should be the third one back, dressed in black, bandanna cover his face and breaking windows out of the Federal building.

Why are you guys so hard on Rob? He has his views and that's fine. I find allot of common ground with Rob when discussing useless numerous NEW laws. I don't think Rob is arguing for lawlessness. I think he's only arguing that if it's not a problem then why new laws? The gang up is a little much IMHO. It's an alternative view, there's zero reason RESPECTFUL discourse can't take place.

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
And quite frankly it is of no concern whatsoever of the residents of Puget Sound.
This is super arrogant... The D is my happy place, and some of my oldest childhood memories are of camping/fishing there with my dad. He and his buddies have been fishing that river for most of the last century. That place is super near and dear to my heart. But by your logic, since none of us live in Maupin this stuff doesn't affect us? We have no valid opinion about what happens to that river? Are we to apply this logic to you whenever you comment about anything that happens outside of your tiny little corner of the world? Your zip code doesn't make your opinion more valuable than anyone elses.

Why are you guys so hard on Rob? He has his views and that's fine. I find allot of common ground with Rob when discussing useless numerous NEW laws. I don't think Rob is arguing for lawlessness. I think he's only arguing that if it's not a problem then why new laws? The gang up is a little much IMHO. It's an alternative view, there's zero reason RESPECTFUL discourse can't take place.
Not a new law, really. It was supposed to be there all along. It was just overlooked, and now fixed.

b_illymac

Member Active
I agree. Rob gets called a lot of names but I never see him lose his cool. He is a simple man in his beliefs. I agree with him on a lot of stuff too.

This has been an interesting thread. I grew up fishing the lower Deschutes with my Dad. Haven't fished it in probably 15 years however. I heard its changed a lot. Will be fun to take my son back when he gets older.

Rob Allen

I agree, Rob, let's get rid of all motor vehicle and traffic laws while we're at it! We'll take down all stop lights! No more lanes - we'll take all the stripes off the roads and highways! Take down all traffic signs - no stop signs, speed limit signs, nothin'! School zones will be a thing of the past, one-ways are now all-ways! It is my right to drive however I want!

So, no more only driving on the right! I want to drive on the left if I feel like it! I want the freedom 3rd world countries enjoy to drive in a crazy mess with traffic coming in all directions with no lanes, no rules!!! No speed limits! Freedom!!! Traffic will be just one joyous disorganized glorious riot of cars and trucks everywhere doing their own thing! No rules; anything goes! It will be free and organic! Orgasimic even! Can you imagine such freedom?!

And speaking of free, no more fees and licensing and screw all these vehicle safety requirements. If I want to drive a car with no headlights, no brakes, bald tires, no horn, no turn signals or brake lights, that's my right! No one should be able to tell me what to do or spend money on stuff I don't want! And I should be able to drive any kind of vehicle I want everywhere! And if I want to drive a 5 mph WWII tank around through downtown Seattle at rush hour, that's my business!

And the tyranny of requiring driver's ed and licenses and age restriction?! Gone! Now 4 year olds can drive! No CDL's if I wanna drive a a semi truck! A tandem rig with 2 trailers? 3? Screw that - I'm gonna make more money and pull 4 or even 5 trailers! I'll go faster by driving on the opposite side of the freeway and making those idiots get out of my way or I'll push them out of the way! And since there are no laws, I won't be responsible for the damage!

Rob, we have motor vehicle and traffic laws for a reason. Same thing with marine laws. Vehicle and vessel traffic laws exist to try to ensure the safe and sane operation of vehicles/vessels with the orderly movement of traffic.

Let's be clear - this Federal Navigable Waterway designation is NOT ABOUT GUIDES!!! It is about marine traffic and safety laws! It is about rules of the road/water, rights of way, vessel safety requirements, what agency has jurisdiction, etc. ONE little tiny law is about 6 packs. But all marine laws do not boil down to or exist because the CG wants to exercise tyranny over poor fishing guides. It is about correcting a mistake and it just happened that an incident with a guide brought the mistake/the incorrect designation to their attention. It would be as if a few miles of freeway never got "officially" added to the federal highway system. So when a trooper writes a ticket, the offender gets it thrown out as noone has jurisdiction because of the original mistake. It is not over-reach or tyranny to fix the mistake and designate that section of the interstate as part of the federal highway system.

This section of the Deschutes should have always been included in the Columbia's designation and the same/applicable Coast Guard vessel traffic laws should have always applied.

Applying these Coast Guard vessel laws simply is about making sure that vessel traffic coming in off the ocean, up the Columbia and into a port or tributary are operating under one set of rules and that boaters do not have to know the rules/laws of each different state, county or city they pass through because for simplification, only Federal vessel traffic rules apply.

All boaters in Oregon and Washington already have to have some training guides more training than that in Oregon.

The history of guided motor boating on the Deschutes is already very safe. No more regulation is needed!
This is not an unsafe place with guides being risking peoples lives needlessly..

This is not unsafe!!!!!

Rob Allen

Not a new law, really. It was supposed to be there all along. It was just overlooked, and now fixed.
Are they gonna start making float tubers get their floating passes. That's been a law too.

Is the coast guard gonna patrol it or just make people pay more money and jump through more hoops..

Rob Allen

This is super arrogant... The D is my happy place, and some of my oldest childhood memories are of camping/fishing there with my dad. He and his buddies have been fishing that river for most of the last century. That place is super near and dear to my heart. But by your logic, since none of us live in Maupin this stuff doesn't affect us? We have no valid opinion about what happens to that river? Are we to apply this logic to you whenever you comment about anything that happens outside of your tiny little corner of the world? Your zip code doesn't make your opinion more valuable than anyone elses.

Don't care how arrogant it sounds.

How trained or untrained guides are has no bearing on your enjoyment of the river. The charecter of the guides might but we aren't talking about regulating that. We are talking about telling people who already do a great job and telling tgem they suck and need more training and to pay more money. I call that a crappy thing to do.

Klickrolf

triple
...thanks for the intro!
Yeah, everything Rob stated was spot on regarding boating on the Deschutes, sans sarcasim. More rules aren't needed and will only confuse things. Of course laws/rules are required for safe boating and driving but we already have plenty.

Last edited:

The T.O. Show

Buenos Hatches Ese
Don't care how arrogant it sounds.

How trained or untrained guides are has no bearing on your enjoyment of the river. The charecter of the guides might but we aren't talking about regulating that. We are talking about telling people who already do a great job and telling tgem they suck and need more training and to pay more money. I call that a crappy thing to do.
That isn't the point though. Maybe I agree with you, maybe I don't. You are saying it doesn't matter because I don't live where you live. I don't discount you because of where your address. Damn dude, obviously we are all her because we enjoy the same stuff.

Latest posts